Has anyone ridden any of the following in the Michigan UP:
-Porterfield Lake
-Bass Lake
-Silver Creek
-Newberry
-Kinross
-Foreman Lake
-Drummond Island

If none of these, has anyone ridden any technical trails in Michigan to recommend?

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
In my opinion, the most technical trail (and the most difficult) is on Drummond Island (lots of rocks). It is worth the trip in the Summer (too wet in the Spring and Fall).
If you are not familiar with the trail system in Michigan, most of the trails are brushed out to 40" to 50" inches wide. The trails make for great trail rides, but I would not consider them to be difficult. We are in the process of developing some "cycle only" trails (NO QU@&$) These trails will be more techinical.
If you are making the trip from Illinois, let me know when you are coming. If I am free, I would be happy to be a trail guide. Also, keep an eye on the Michigan Trail Riders Chapter forum. We plan a trail ride at least once a month.
Mike

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
I ride the Bass Lake trail on a regular basis. It's a pretty good trail, is used almost exclusively by bikes, not as wide as the typical MI ORV trail. I haven't ridden Porterfield Lake trail, but I understand its OK, too.
I've never been to Drummond Island trail, but I understand it is VERY technical, with lots of rock, like fatherandson says. From what I hear, it is quite challenging!
The trails over by Newberry, I hear, are fun trails to ride. I really haven't heard much about them, but I imagine they are well maintained (Michigan does a great job at this!).
I've ridden a little downstate, the trails are fun, but they are not "tight." Sometimes they get pretty whooped from lots of traffic. I think the trails in the UP may be a little better because they just don't get the traffic on them.
Be sure to get a Michigan ORV sticker on your bike! $16 is a lot cheaper than a $60+ ticket!
For a challenge, try the Loose Moose Enduro in Marquette (June 23rd)!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Magoo is correct. The trails in the UP are much better due to less use. As a troll (living below the Mackinaw Bridge), I can assure you that the extra drive time and toll and the bridge is well worth the access to the best trails.
NICE ADVERTISEMENT Magoo!! I talked to Ken and Carole Contois earlier this week and I am making plans to help out at your enduro this year.
Good Luck in Roselawn!!!
Mike

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
For a challenge, try the Loose Moose Enduro in Marquette (June 23rd)!
NICE ADVERTISEMENT Magoo!!
Caught that did ya?!
Looking forward to meeting you at our Enduro! We can always use a hand; it's not really "work" :D
I'm looking forward to having fun at Roselawn! Thanks!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom