woodsracer250

Dec 5, 2009
Hi everyone,

I ride a CR250 Dirt Bike so I do belong in the room but I got a different question:

I am putting together a basket case TRX250R for my Girlfriend (and I) to ride but I was stuck on one thing about the front hubs...

The hubs are painted right now but I was thinking (read: going to) sand blast them down to bare aluminum, but after doing so I 'm wondering if I should squirt 'em down with some Clear spray paint or would that make 'em look cheesy?? I just dont know if having them bare aluminum would make them get ugly in no time or if clear on them would make them look akin to a rechrome on an automotive bumper with "Chrome Spray Paint"??

Also, I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight on the same thing as far as the motor goes??

Here's something to think about... On a dirt bike (such as my 01 CR250) are the hubs cleared and that's how they stay looking good?? (pretty sure the motor's not but I welcome suggestions here as well)

Any (Read: a bunch) of ideas on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Stuart

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yes, they'll get dingy in no time if media blasted. Clear coating can help if you prep it well and it sticks. Otherwise they make aluminum sealer to put on after you clean them up.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Bare aluminum will have a coat of aluminum oxide on it two seconds after you bead blast it. That coating actually helps protect the aluminum. Aluminum fork sliders used to have clearcoat finish, but none of the aluminum hubs I've had seem to have any real type of finish applied (that I can tell of). Of course they weren't always beautiful, but didn't look horrible either. You can polish them once in a while but it's a PIA, especially with spokes and brakes and other hardware involved. There are a whole lot of beautiful bare aluminum aircraft.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Don't sandblast it. Beadblast it. Take them to a bead blaster that has different media for his bead blaster. You can use Aluminum Oxide media, walnut shell media and several other types of media to get different textures on your rims. If you sandblast them it will leave deep pitting in the surface of the rim and the pitting will collect dirt very quickly.

As others have mentioned, oxidation is also a problem so you should have them clear coated as quickly as possible after having them blasted. Clear power coat is (IMO) the best way to go if you can afford it. Aircraft aluminum is usually Alclad. This is a coating that is alloyed right into the aluminum during the manufacturing process. Alclad is used to protect aluminum aircraft skins from oxidation. If you do nothing to protect your rims after blasting, they will quickly turn dark grey or black from oxidation.

Just my $ .02

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What do you believe the fresh painted hubs will look like when you get done re-lacing the rim? For the record, I think rim graphics is a really stupid idea also. Unless it is for a museum piece? Media blast with no material removal. And leave them bare. Vintage Bob

Top Bottom