ROADRACER

Oct 7, 2000
Has anyone tried running distilled water and Red Line wetter water in their radiator instead of a water anti-freeze mix.It is less corrosive but I don't know if it will cool enough. I used this mixture in a race car with a 700+ hp small block and it worked fine. If anyone has any comments I would appreciate any input. Thanks

scott_ktm

Feb 13, 2001
I use distilled water, antifreeze, 70/30 and Water Wetter. You need to use antifreeze, the kind made for use in alum. rads. I protects against corrosion and helps in lubricating and conditioning of seals.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
Antifreeze will raise the boiling point of your water, provide some lubrication for seals, and help prevent corrosion. It will also reduce heat transfer slightly. Distilled water still has some impurities in it and if you don't use antifreeze and don't flush your system on a regular basis there is a possibility you could get corrosion. Considering the cost of rads I won't take any chances. I run Peak antifreeze because it's for use with magnezium and aluminum (not all are) at 40 % antifreeze 60% distilled water with a small amount of water wetter.

EnduroAddict

Mar 16, 2000
I use Water Wetter by Redline. I mix it with distilled water to the ratio on the bottle. I use it in my dirt bikes for desert racing now. I used to road race, several years ago, and that is all you can use on the race track in 100+ deg temps. They don't allow glycol... (?sp) base coolants in tech inspection. Appearently, the Water Wetter product will evaporate like water when spilled on the asphalt, regular antifreeze doesn't. It works great. It has better cooling properties, plus lubricating and safe for alum., but has no anti-freeze properties. So long as it's not freezing you'll be good to go. I don't have freezing temps to deal with, so I use it year round. The bottle also mentions mixing it into a reqular 50/50 antifreeze mix to boost the cooling properties. -Jeff

EnduroAddict

Mar 16, 2000
Hey DanS, I just noticed your a VCMC. I'm pre-registered on row 51b for your qualifer event in a couple weeks. It's my first year racing district 37 and it's been a real :scream:!. See you at the races. - Jeff

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Anti-freeze is NOT required unless it is freezing outside. Nothing cools better than pure distilled water and a bottle of Water Wetter.

Cameron

katoomed00

Nov 18, 2000
I used distilled water and redline water wetter in my 00400exc after boiling over in super tight trails ,it's seemed to do the trick so for,i've also used it in my chevy and noticed the temp dropped at least 15 degrees instantly,that pretty damm good for this time of the year in S.louisiana. the bottle indicated that it has corrosive protectant and lubricant in it allready,distilled water shouldn't have all the harmful minerals that corrode,that's why they recommend it

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by cp380sx
Anti-freeze is NOT required unless it is freezing outside. Nothing cools better than pure distilled water and a bottle of Water Wetter.

I run coolant, mixed 50/50 with distilled water, in my vehicles. It lowers the freezing point and raises the boiling point of water.

As for Water Wetter... :silly:

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
A new twist

At our club meeting last night we were going over some items for the Hungry Valley Qualifier that's happening May 20th. One stipulation that was handed to us at the last moment concerns antifreeze in vehicals operating in the Forest areas. Seems as if someone spilled antifreeze in a parking lot and a Condor drank it and died. Now thanks to the greenies in our state any vehical operating in designated Forest areas can not have ethylene glycol in them. Propylene glycol is ok (hope I spelled them ok). Serria is the only brand I know of that complies. The only exception is if your manufacturer says anything but ethylene glycol will void your warrantee. Right now the only one is Honda. Loop 2 of the race goes into the Forest and we have to have every Loop 2 rider sign a paper stating that his bike complies or is exempt. They didn't hit us with this until this week 10 days before the event. I guess distilled water with water wetter will be real popular. This goes for autos too.

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by WoodsRider

I run coolant, mixed 50/50 with distilled water, in my vehicles. It lowers the freezing point and raises the boiling point of water.

As for Water Wetter... :silly:

Sorry WoodsRider but you are confusing the boiling point of antifreeze, which is around 270f, with heat transfer efficiency. Pure water has much better heat transfer characteristics than conventional coolants. This is why engines run cooler with straight water as opposed to a mix of water and antifreeze. It is also why engine tuners such as Tom Morgan run straight water with WaterWetter in their highly modified race bikes. I have spoken to him at length regarding this. If you don't know who Tom Morgan he was Jeff Ward and Mike Larroco's factory mechanic at Kawasaki. WaterWetter does work. It improves heat transfer efficiency and it also contains neccessary lubricants. Real world tests have proven this out. If you need proof try straight water and WW in one of your cars this summer. You will be suprised.

Cameron

Last edited:

ROADRACER

Oct 7, 2000
Thanks alot for all your responses. I'm sure it will work now. I have a pyrometer so maybe the next time I go out I'll get the cyclinder head temp with water/anti freeze and compare it to a water/water wetter mixture temp. I know in my racecar it lowered the temp 10 F
Thanks Again Mike

Top Bottom