Hatfield-McCoy Ride Weekend June 6th

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I just got off the ohone with Cathy McCoy znd she said it was a pretty bad flood and everything is getting cleaned up and reopened and they expect everything to be finish today.

sounds like some fresh trails to me!!!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well I'm getting excited about next week and was wondering who all is coming??

I think JTH and klxkdx are in is that right? :)

jth

May 21, 2006
sr5bidder
It’s not looking good for me making this ride. I just got the cast off my broken wrist 2 weeks ago and rehab is not going well at all. 8 weeks so far and my wrist is toast. The guys in my crew will be getting together this weekend to decide what we are gonna do. I’ll post back.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well I'm getting excited and we are going to leave on tuesday and take the duaghter to mamoth cave KY first then cruz over to matewan for the trailson thursday.

I will be taking the 98kdx a 96 xt350 for my brother to ride who is coming from PA and the xt225 for the wife (propably not the trails just around the local rd's).
It would be cool to take the dirt chopper but have not got the plate for it yet..

even though none of you appear to be going I'm sure i will see a handfull of kdx's anyhow seems every time I go riding I run into 2-3 other people on kdx's and none of them have any idea this forum even exsists!!

I hope to get some good pics and some video to share with you guys.

If you do happen to go I will be in the big blue dodge!!

kdxklxridr

Mar 27, 2007
WV riding

Can't go to WV the 6th. I have to work Sat till afternoon. We are going to ride at Outdoorsman Park (Cat Fish Pond). It is only 1 hr away in Martinsville Va. They have a lot of harescramble races there (a lot of single track). They only have about 25 miles of trail though. It will only be a day ride, but better than no ride! Wish I could join you in WV. I will be there within the next 4-6wks. It would be great to see your pics. Tell me what you think (by the trail number), I now know that place like the back of my hand. Remember that single track on the Matewan side is hard ass! (trail 198 and 39). I can't imagine what it is like after flood type rains. The rest of the trail is fun.

jth

May 21, 2006
sr5bidder
Looks like we are gonna make it. We expect to arrive Friday late afternoon.
I’ll be on a 04 220. My buddy has a xr250.
I’ll be driving a silver Dodge 2500 4x4 with a black enclosed trailer. Stop by And say hello.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Wish I could make it :(. We'll have to catch up another time. Maybe @ NCMP? That's a bit closer to SR5 anyway. Down around Henderson, NC I think. I've been wanting to get down there. I hear the trails are pretty sweet. And there's CAW just over the NC line into SC.... Me and several of my riding buddies plan to make it to Hatfield this summer. Make sure and get pictures and plenty of mental notes! If ya'll have a grand time maybe you'll be up for a 2nd trip later in the summer.....

J.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Well Steve and I got back yesterday around 6:30pm

We arived on thursday and it was sprinkle rain /misty

I got my sticker, jumped on the kdx and went up the trial untill it split then turned around and got the xt350 warmed up and hit it again up to where it splits of into 38 and 21 then came back down and drank a bunch of beer.

friday it rained pretty hard about 6 am then around 10 am we got together and headed up the mountain the trails where in great shape with lots of mud and rocks the climbs where really steep and the turns where really sharp with a nice
30-1200ft cliff ( I myself slowed way down for these)

Saturday we made a trip from Matewan to williamson, it took about 4 hrs Steves sprocket kept coming loose on the ktm so when we hit a road crossing he took the road to williamson and his brother on a drz400 and his son on a cr85 big wheel while me , my brother , jake and Steves wife on 4 wheelers continued the trail to williamson that was trails 18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10 in order.

we met in williamson to find out Steve got some nylock nuts from the honda dealer and that Evan's cr85 siezed the engine (I don't think the cr85's are made to be pined wide open at 50mph for more than just a few seconds)

All in all I guess I realized I suck much more than I originally thought at riding, but I never crashed or went down.
I suppose I like to tool around at my own speed, don't feel my brain and ballance work very well.
everone I ride with acts like there is a lion chasing them

maybe instead of being out in the garage drinking beer and working on everyones motorcycles I should work on getting my body and health fixed up instead :|

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Forgot to mention I met jth (Jim) and His friend Scott who rode an xr250r.

JTH's trials tire seemed to be hooking up really well on the wet rock and mud (I saw his unmistakible tracks everywhere) and in talking to him he was very pleased with it.
they were pretty much on the same trails saturday up to about trail 14 then I did not see them again till saturday night.

we had planned with a local shop owner to get a tour of the non-system trails saturday at 5 but when I called to see if he was ready he had a water main break and soak his electrical panels so he couldn't do it.

I still have not looked at my pics yet been to wiped out, a week away from work gets you 2weeks of catching up :bang:

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
sr5bidder said:
All in all I guess I realized I suck much more than I originally thought at riding, but I never crashed or went down.
I suppose I like to tool around at my own speed, don't feel my brain and ballance work very well.
everone I ride with acts like there is a lion chasing them

Maybe you and I should ride together sometime. I usually feel the same way when I ride with others. I am not slow, but everyone else is like they are in a race :)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
:ride:
Look everyone Lemmy returns from the dead :ride: :

Lemmy we should ride!! how far is knoxville (you) from chattanoga??
I'm 1 1/2 hrs away hual'n @ss still its about the closest to me (Pathetic)

There is a pretty cool place there called Prentice Cooper State Park..!!free!! they have some pretty knarly rocks on the hills and some river crossings about 20ft cross.

Maybe with in the next couple weeks we can get something planned..

there is also a place in Ga I've been wanting to check out called Broad River but it's $25 per day

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
Chattanoog is about 1.5 hours away. I have heard of Prentice Cooper because I mountain bike. I didn't know they had dirt bike trails.

My bike is torn down now and waiting on parts to arrive. I replaced the fork seals and found that the head bearings and front wheel bearings were completely rusted up and frozen. This had to be the worse maintained bike ever. I hope the engine was maintained better! I have gone through almost everything on this bike but I still need to rebuild the rear shock.

I definitely would like to ride soon. Are you thinking mid-week or weekend?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yep they have a bunch of orv trails I've been twice and still have'nt scratched the surface the printable map kinda sucks, as does the trail markings, but I will work one out after a few more times up there

would be on a saturday for sure

10-4 on the mountain biking ...I just fixed a tube, handlebar clamp and need a seat for mine that has been sitting for 12 yrs

I just turned 39 and I am in terrible shape, not fat, but just Haven't done anything pysical in 15yrs, I get tired very quickly,no energy, so thats why I got the mountain bike out plus help with ballance problems I'm having....hopefully

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well no good usable pics the MF digital takes a pic 3 seconds after you press the button.

with that I'll put this thread to bed and start a new ride south east!

Top Bottom