Hatfield McCoy Trail System, Gilbert, WV

22-L1

Nov 4, 2005
I am planning a trip to the Hatfield McCoy Trails over Thanksgiving Weekend. Has anybody ever rode those trails this time of year? What is the typical weather I should expect? Anyone from Michigan ever made the trip and if so where in Michigan did you start from and how long did it take to get there?

Thanks in advance for the information. I appreciate it.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
You'll probably get a better response here.

I rode the Hatfield/McCoy trail system this past spring. We got rain, rain, rain, and a generous slathering of snow in our weekend there. Still had a good time.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Probably cold I imagine with a chance for snow. I've ridden that trail system (Man-Gilbert) last year and this year. If you want to contact a local, try Terry at www.rockhouselodge.com We've stayed at both of his places (in Man) and can give you more details as to why I will stay with him again next year if you'd like. Also, try the forums at www.trailsheaven.com... they are monitored by the trail system administrators pretty much daily, so they can also give you a good idea of what to expect weatherwise. If you've never been there, you are in for a great weekend!

trailhouse

Feb 8, 2003
November is an unpredictable month. It is a lot like March--you just don't what to expect from day to day.

We normally don't get snow that amounts to any accumulation until late December. But the temperatures can be cold, or it could be warm. A couple years ago, we had a large group from Windrock ATV and a family from Florida staying with us during Thanksgiving week. The beginning of the week was clear and sunny--temperatures in the fifties and sixties. By the end of the week it was snowing (just a little ground cover). The boy that was with the family from Florida had never seen snow--until that weekend!!

This weekend has been great! Today is a beautiful day in southern WV. The temperatures are in the low sixties.

If you need additional info, don't hesitate to contact me.

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
Papakeith said:
You'll probably get a better response here.

I rode the Hatfield/McCoy trail system this past spring. We got rain, rain, rain, and a generous slathering of snow in our weekend there. Still had a good time.

Yes the weather was great in April :yikes: We arrived on Thursday in short sleeve shirts and pants. We still had a great time.
http://www.dirtrider.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=697&c=3&userid=26555

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
It's been down for a while now....our Webmaster is slacking :|

Good thing he's my son....otherwise I'd fire him :laugh:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
22-l1

Take a look at this write up from a trip my family and I did to Gilbert this spring.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=114339&highlight=hatfield

Driving from Atlanta MI (about 3.5 hours north of Detroit area), it took us 15 hours with frequent and at times long, stops to get there. Our return took about 13 hours. I dunno what to expect for fall weather though.

Do a search here on DRN for Hatfield McCoy and you will find many other posts that would be of help for you. If you intend to camp or rent a cabin, I highly recommend Twin Hollows:

http://www.twinhollowcampground.com

There are a number of other options in the area as well - some appear to be pretty decent options others , well not so sure I would stay there! The trailsheavens web site that XRnrgy mentioned is a great resource. Beware, that some of the web sites of other loding in the area is in some cases a bit misleading - tightly cropped camera angles and in one case a cabin "photoshopped" into a mountain scene make cabins located right smack dab in the middle of Gilbert appear to be quite a bit more scenic than the actually are (the cabins themselves, the people running them etc. may be fine, but the surroundings are not as they might seem from the website!)

Enjoy yourself there! Waaay different than ANYTHING in Michigan! That area is one outstanding example of leveraging one outstanding resource (the trails, terrian etc.), coordinating with local governments, local businesses, large land owners etc. all into a super destination for fun! Michigan needs to learn some lessons from them!

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I was down for the DRN spring fling too. As they say in WV, if you dont like the weather just wait 5 minutes. It is often unpredictable. We had it all over the 3 days, Warm Sun, Cold Wind, Rain, Hail, lots of rain, and Snow.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jasnker/hatmcoy.htm
I think if there was a strong possibility of freezing temps I would not want to make the trip to ride bikes. Quads maybe. The trails are all on steep mountains and this time of year Im sure many dont see any sun at all. Riding those trails with ice would be very :yikes: . The problem is if you go off the trail on the wrong side, its down, down, down, and down some more. Hey Malfos! we are still waiting to see the helmet cam fotage too!!!! We learned about the orange colored clay mud that was super slippery when wet, I just would not want to ride up there if there was ice.
The people up there are super cool though and you can ride your bike into town so its a must do ride if you ever get the chance.

trailhouse

Feb 8, 2003
We sometimes take a lot of things for granted in southern WV. It just seems normal to be able to jump on your bike or ATV and ride into town. We have always been able to ride freely--for the most part. When I read postings that mention riding into town or when I am talking to riders that are thrilled to be able to ride into town, it is then I realize how lucky we are.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Indeed my friend! Indeed.
If you need reminder in the future, just look at the license plates of the hords that invade your area to ride. I think just in the DYDRN ride we had Pa, Nj, Ny, RI, TN, and NC that I can recall. At Paragon on any given Sunday I can see Pa, NY, NJ, Mass, DE, MD and more. And you know what?, the effort people put into good riding seems to determine the good effort in the people. Does that make sence?
I hope to get down there again sometime and explore the rest of the Browning forks trails and the rest of them as well. I'll need some good hard core riders to ride and connect the trial systems with me though! maybe we pack tents and find fuel and food along the way? :aj:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
JasonJ said:
Indeed my friend! Indeed.
I hope to get down there again sometime and explore the rest of the Browning forks trails and the rest of them as well. I'll need some good hard core riders to ride and connect the trial systems with me though! maybe we pack tents and find fuel and food along the way? :aj:

That sounds like alot of fun! Just tougher to do on a bike. I'd definately need a bigger gas tank. :)

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
The YZ seems to get pretty good MPH no? We can pack a bit of fuel and pull some from mine as well, I have like a 3.4 Gal tank on the WR. To bad I sold my stock WR tank ealier this year, but you would need a WR seat to make it work anyway. I think I paid like $80 for my Clarke YZ type 3.3 tank though. Its nice becuase if you dont have to fill it all the way it carries the fuel weight much lower on the bike. I dont think we can pack any heaters though so we should make sure we do it in the summer so TJ dont freeze :p
BTW, is woodchucks good eating? Im sure we can scrub some of them up along the way :yikes:

Mar 10, 2007
Do any of you 2 stroke riders have problems in terms of gas. Do you carry oil with you. I may be heading down to hatfield this summer and don't wanna be running out of gas. I can get between 40/50 miles out of my kdx. Thanks

Top Bottom