Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
I would like to recommend the Hatfield McCoy trail system in West Virginia to anyone who wants to ride one of the best trail systems in the country. I have now been twice, once in April and once in October. The system consists of three trail heads, roughly 300 miles of trails total. The goal of the system is to expand to 2000 miles of trails.

Trails consist of mostly mountain riding, rocky and hilly. Very good maps are available online, trailheads, or headquarters. The four classifications of trails are easiest, more difficult, most difficult, and single track. These are real trails with little gravel road riding. Most difficult trails are not playing, they are hard!

Both times I have been, we have camped at Chief Logan State Park. This is a nice campground, but you must drive to the trail heads.

Logan, WV is the best central location to the trail system. For more info check out their website.

www.trailsheaven.com

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Yep. I've got to hit that sometime. Brown Mountain NC is great but this looks like the ultimate. I'd like to check out that new place in Oakridge Tenn also.
Ivan

35off

Nov 12, 2001
Riding areas

We went to Hatfield McCoy trails the weekend before thanksgiving. Awesome ! We drove 400 miles to get there. The drive to ride ratio was not so good. If you guys know of other choice riding areas in SE, please tell me about them. The national forrest areas where we regularly ride close from January 1 through April 1 and I need some viable substitutes. Thanks. Ivan, you mentioned NC and TN ?

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
I have heard of a good riding area in the mountains of Arkansas, but I don't know the specifics.

I ride at Turkey Bay here in Western KY (Land between the Lakes recreation area) good ride area but probably not worth the drive from GA.

I also drove 400+ miles to WV. Well worth the drive, if you have 4 to 5 days to ride.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Brown Mountain is a great place to ride and Oakridge is supposed to be incredible with 10 or 15 thousand acres of private land. You can find them by visiting the setra website: www.setra.org
Also TNT in Chester SC is a great place to ride. Find the link to that website by visiting the SC off road enthusiasts site. www.scohv.org

35off

Nov 12, 2001
Ivan. i searched high and low on the setra site and could not find any info. on oakridge. if you know more about it, please fill me in. thanks.

35off

Nov 12, 2001
ivan, where is brown mountain and how can i get info about when it is open. length and type of trails etc. again, thanks for the info. david

mp4798

Aug 10, 2001
35 OFF

hey 35,brown mtn is located in morganton nc. Highway 40 takes you to the exit. its about 25 mins from there and yes the riding is great. it closes dec 30 and usually reopens about march15-20th.

andym

Jun 3, 2000
Its great to hear people are enjoying the Hatfield-McCoy trails. They are a great place to ride and have something for everyone. Brown Mtn is also a great place to ride but you better hide your beer at night (mp4798 and me found that out) and watch out for the rednecks. The riding area near Oak Ridge is Windrock *** Club . I've never ridden there but have heard mixed reviews. I think it would be worth the trip to try it out.

35off

Nov 12, 2001
andym. any contact info for windrock ** club. i'd like to check out oakridge if i can figure out where it is and when it's open. thanks

andym

Jun 3, 2000
The website for Windrock is www.windrock***.com The *** that shows up is A..T..V.. without the periods. That *** crap makes posting things a pain in the arse sometimes. Hmm can I say arse here?

After I thought about it I realized you may have been thinking about Royal Blue. It is a large riding area around there too. I don't have any links for them but a search of the web might turn something up.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
White Rock

White Rock is one place in NW Arkansas. I should be leaving for there tomorrow, but the trans. in my DRZ went out, so I'm stuck at home. Here's a link that tells a little about White Rock.

Click Here

Jay-R, you better not go back to Hatfield-McCoy with out me! I'm getting tired of the rocks at Turkey.

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
I'm getting tired of the rocks at Turkey.

Hey CAL,

I am ready to go back to WV if I can get the time off and find enough money. The rocks out there don't move like the rocks at Turkey. Also they can be slick, but still great.

Sorry to here about the trans. on the DRZ. Was it one gear or the whole thing? Maybe it is time for that KTM 400 or 520!!

Top Bottom