keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
I was wondering if anyone has opinions on using a work van to haul 2 dirt bikes? Im talking about the kind of van that basically has nothing in it, its just a box van with big doors on the back. I would like something that can keep my bike/equp. locked away, and out of the weather. The only disadvantage I can think of would be poor gas mileage compared to a 4 banger pickup or car/trailer setup... any opinions?

dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
Half the expert and pro desert riders here use a common cargo van. Most of the races are in So.CAL so the commute from souher Idaho is about 800 miles. They are nicer to drive than a pickup with trailer and you can lock up your bikes and tools.

Most of the guys who use vans buy Bike Shoes to hld the front wheen instead of straps to tie them down. They seem to work well in the van.

Three weeks ago I saw Brian Brown's van at a local race. He had four bikes inside a 3/4 ton Chevy.

Jerry

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I have seen sevral in use as haulers. I have even seen a few old uhaul or rider trucks. My old neighbor had a nicelypainted cargo van with cool mags for haulin his stuff around. I wish that I had one. I think that you would get better gas milage with a van than a enclosed trailer and a 1/2 ton.

LB400

Apr 9, 2001
A van is the ONLY way to go if you don't have a motorhome/trailer combo. I laugh out loud when I see the poor *******s in pickups when it's pooring rain. They are wet, their tools are wet, their gas is wet, etc.

(I guess you can't say ba$tard on this site -- it's a real word for crying out loud!)

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
Vans are a great way to go, I've seen a few of the long wheelbase ones with the bench seat in back and 3 bikes behind the seat. Just get a good sealed gas can (for the fumes) and a rug to throw under the bikes to catch the dirt.

:) Try BASSTRUD instead :)

Budda

May 24, 2000
A van is the best way to go. The convienence of loading everything up the night before a ride is great. Plus, if you come home beat up from a tough ride, just leave the bike and gear in the van and clean up the next day!

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Works for me! I think it's the best setup going and my buddies think its the best, they always want to take my truck.92 e-350

Jan 7, 2001
I got tired of leaving all my stuff exposed to the elements and thieves in the back of a P/U. Especially when overnight on the road and even while out riding with the ramp and gas can just sitting there all day. I picked up a used 97 Dodge extended cargo van from a business for a reasonable price. I'm about 70% complete with finishing the inside. I have installed a partition between the seating area and the cargo space to keep out the fumes/dirt/mud, reduce interior noise and increase efficiency of the A/C and heater. I should be able to haul 3 bikes without too much difficulty and carry 4-5 people with reasonable comfort. I'll have my first shot at using it at the end of the LA-B2V this weekend. I'm sure I'm going to sleep better this year!

Last edited:

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
sweet thanks guys for all the input. Im gonna go for the van hauler, and I have some time while its cold to find the right one. Sounds like vans are the best way to go, and I really like Scott's idea of separating the bikes from the cab.

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
Well I remember back in the 70's damn near every privateer racer had a van to travel to the races in and had them set up like Scott said. Some even had a double partition to sneak people in.

Top Bottom