Dede

May 23, 2004
I just need some advice on if a pick-up truck is better for hauling a couple of dirtbikes or a truck/jeep w/ a trailer hitch is better. Or is it really just as long as it gets your bikes where you need to go?
I have a small car right now but by next year I would like to get some kind of truck so I can travel to check out trails around the area and haul the bikes wherever I want to go. :ride:

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
A trailer is better than just hauling it in a pickup bed. You can pull it with whatever you want as long as it will tow it. Everybody needs a pick up IMO whether they ride bikes or not. Go to the dump? need a truck. Get a TV from Walmart? need a truck. Buy some lumber at Home Depot? how ya gonna haul it. Get a truck and trailer. The bigger the better.

mafrif

Mar 2, 2004
I use a snowmobile trailer now, can easily haul three bikes on it, with all the gear inbetween. A couple things i like about a trailer is- a good dressing platform, easier to load the bikes, three riders can alternate vehicles each time. I am really poor right now, so i actually pull my trailer with a 1987 delta 98 olds. Plenty of power, and i can still get 22 mpg going 70, and haul 3 people, with gear locked inside the trunk or the back. Everybody looks at me wierd when there is 10k in bikes on a 1500 dollar car/trailer rig. But ive got my priorities straight.

Chad

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
Couple of factors.

* do you have the storage room for the trailer
* Does a pick-up meet your other needs
* Does a SUV serve your purposes better

I use a Yukon with a motojackrack - which takes no storage room at home and gets my bike where I need it to go. The Yukon best serves my other needs (work and family).

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
I do trailer and then leave the bikes on it and ready to go. Since moving up to an enclosed trailer - all the stuff sits inside ready to go too (including some snacks, bottled water, etc) Pickup the kids at school and head out to ride - all the gear is already there, just change and ride... I use bike shoes so the suspension is not compressed and there is enough room that i can do basic between ride maintenance (air filters - other stuff requires they be pulled out) Only negative is that I don't like to drive down rough roads to riding areas - but that is just my preference as others do it frequently without problems.

Dede

May 23, 2004
thanks for the great advice. It's something to keep in mind when the time comes. Basically I want a pick-up trunk (always have) and my husband wants a jeep wrangler. So it's trying to find the better of the two.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I vote for a trailer, using a truck (pick-up) too tow it.. Just in case you get hurt, they are easy too load the bikes on.. I would like too find a nice enclosed, that way if i stop off somewhere, dont have too worry as much about thieves..
RIck

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I bought an enclosed trailer in fall of 2002 and haven't regreted it for a minute. Never thought I would like a trailer but I don't know why I ever lived without one all this time now. :cool:

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
A 3 rail trailer would get my "economy" vote, and tow it with whatever you want. An enclosed trailer gets my "does it all" vote. I ve got a pick um up and an enclosed trailer, but Ive got 3 kids plus myself. Enclosed doubles as an economy camper and changing facilities.

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
i've got an f150. i wish i had a cargo van. i know i'd lose serious style points, but i worry alot about security. out here in so cal i'm hearing more and more stories of locked bikes getting stolen from the back of pick up trucks . . . i'd assume stealing from an open trailer would be even easier. but then again, i've always had a pickup and use it for everything, but i think a cargo van could do the same job in most cases.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
For the best economy IMHO seems like a hitch rack which can go on an SUV or make a truck easy to load. You might have to go solo in an SUV but in Wa it is like 70 bucks to license a trailer annually. I dont know if you have trailer inspections in NH. Even a cheapo trailer is over 300 bucks plus registration every year. However, I went with a small trailer first cause I was truckless for a while and a regular small trailer was more useful for me to haul stuff in and gear to use to go camping with than a one purpose only three rail trailer seemed.

Dede

May 23, 2004
I didn't even think about license and registration. I'm glad you said something, Greenbean. That can be expensive it sounds. The idea of the van though sounds like something to think about. I just seen someone driving by w/ a van w/ an atv in it. But an enclosed trailer does sound the best. If I do that then I'll just have to keep in mind the extra cost annually for it. Thanks again for all the input. It's been a great help.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Don't forget too that you must insure a van, but the trailer is covered by your vehicle policy (for liability). For me this was a big savings, plus our registration isn't nearly as expensive...good thing something is cheaper up here.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I've got a truck, and it's nice because I don't have to worry about parking a trailer, licensing it, etc. But I also can't load it myself. I think of the two choices, I'd pick a Jeep with a trailer. If you have the space to park the trailer at home. Trailers can be handy for other stuff too.

Another option, especially if you're going to use it for bike trips, is a 3/4 ton cargo van. The bikes are inside out of weather and harm's way, plus when you are camping you can set up a cot etc inside. I would kind of like to get a van but it's not the most practical option right now.

Top Bottom