May 10, 2007
So last weekend i went riding with some friends who own some land in the poconos. There were lots of sticks/twigs/logs/limbs/anypartofatreeyoucanname littering the ground. After doing some simple trails to warm up a little bit we decided to hit some tighter stuff and some hillclimbs before we hit the really tough singletrack. As I was riding down a hill one of these limbs that was on the ground was hit by my front tire. This act of hitting this limb set into motion a string of events that are almost unbelievable. You see when this limb was hit by my front tire it was then launched into the air. The limb then went and hit my pipe (denting it) and then flying through a tiny hole in my bike. Right about now my bike was making a funny sound and no longer running... So I jumped off and started looking at my pipe thinking that i smashed it somehow as that had happened to my one buddy last time we rode here. After jumping off my bike and giving it a good lookover I couldnt find anything wrong. Until I looked closer at my engine and saw that my carb was no longer attached. I then looked farther and saw that this limb had somehow impaled my bike! It went straight through my airbox. Long story short we got the stick out and got the carb re-attached.

SO.... here is why I am telling you this...

I am now starting to go back and make sure everything is OK. Where should i start?

I am pretty sure my throttle cable has a kink in it as when I was riding back my throttle was very stiff and would no go below a certain point. It was not revving crazily just a steady "yo your throttle is stuck here" kind of rev.

Also there was a rip in my airfilter from the limb. It wasnt very big and it was only a short ride back to the trucks but could it have caused any damage to look into?

Thanks guys.

brentn

Aug 7, 2009
holy ****, your carb was speared by a freaking stick.... Too funny, I can't believe that your carb was ****ing missing, that's wild!

If the carb was ripped out your probably going to need a new throttle cable, and mount to the reed valve as it could be cracked.
I'd go over the carb real carefull too and just make sure that there are no hairline cracks on the bowl or the mouth, last thing you want is an intake leak.

Pretty wild story though, any pictures?

DirTasteGood

May 18, 2009
You got away really lucky. It could have been your foot, or something else in your body. I have heard of guys who drive over logs, they snap back and broke a guys leg.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
fuzzball, did everything check out OK so you can make it this weekend at Lost Trails?

May 10, 2007
so i finally got some time to check out the bike today and everything looks ok except for the throttle cable and of course the airfilter.

Top Bottom