RakO

Dec 26, 2000
I really do not want to start again the MOBIL-1 versus Bike Lubes debat, but Is there somebody who ever tried the Havoline Synthetic 5-40 API SJ/CF NON EC !! lube ?
The reason is that my sponsor wants me to uses Havoline.
My Bike is a WR 250 F ....fantastic bike !!!!!
RakO

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
I do not think that you will get many replys since that grade of Havoline is not availible in this country.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
RakO, We get a lot of Havoline stuff out here in Australia but mostly car / truck oil. The oil for a bike has to be "bike" oil so you dont have clutch slip / problems and crushing of oil by the gears in the gear box. I dont know the standards but compare the ratings and see if it meets up with the normal bike oils specs on their packs. Thats the SJ/CF stuff i think but to me the CF spec is a diesel oil spec.:think . Wish I could get a oil sponser. Hope this helps.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
RakO, We get a lot of Havoline stuff out here in Australia but mostly car / truck oil. The oil for a bike has to be "bike" oil so you dont have clutch slip / problems and crushing of oil by the gears in the gear box. I dont know the standards but compare the ratings and see if it meets up with the normal bike oils specs on their packs. Thats the SJ/CF stuff i think but to me the CF spec is a diesel oil spec. . Wish I could get a oil sponser. Hope this helps.
I think you better get your facts in order before you post such rubbish. Auto oil may be used in a bike provided it does not contain any friction additives. If the oil is CF or Ch rated it is safe to say that it probaly does not contain these additives. I would call Havoline to verify though. Most oils with a cf rating have a pretty robust detergent and antiwear package so it should work well in a bike.

Jan 12, 2001
bwalker, I have been using Castrol GTX 20W50 (API Service SJ) automotive oil in my bikes for about 4 months now. I change it after every three rides, and have not noticed a difference between it and Maxima 80 wt. as far as shifting, performance, or the color while draining it. Of course the Castrol is about six times cheaper. Any comments?? Anyone??:think

RakO

Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by ACS
RakO, We get a lot of Havoline stuff out here in Australia but mostly car / truck oil. The oil for a bike has to be "bike" oil so you dont have clutch slip / problems and crushing of oil by the gears in the gear box. I dont know the standards but compare the ratings and see if it meets up with the normal bike oils specs on their packs. Thats the SJ/CF stuff i think but to me the CF spec is a diesel oil spec.:think . Wish I could get a oil sponser. Hope this helps.

Sorry ACS I think bwalker is right the reason I took the 5-40 W among the other HAVOLINE SYNTEHETIC is that it is the ONLY one non EC !!
I just wanted to know is somebody did ever used HAVOLINE synt or semi synth.
RakO

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Rako, I use Havoline 5w30 in my fiance's Chevy cavalier with good results. Havolines mineral oils now have group two base stocks.

bwalker, I have been using Castrol GTX 20W50 (API Service SJ) automotive oil in my bikes for about 4 months now. I change it after every three rides, and have not noticed a difference between it and Maxima 80 wt. as far as shifting, performance, or the color while draining it. Of course the Castrol is about six times cheaper. Any comments?? Anyone??
Sounds like you got a winner. currently I am using chevron Delo 15-40 in my CR and RZ with good results.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I've been afraid to use anything other than what the manufacturer recomended, which is an automotive oil. Won't a synthetic oil cause clutch slip?

RakO

Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
I've been afraid to use anything other than what the manufacturer recomended, which is an automotive oil. Won't a synthetic oil cause clutch slip?

A non EC (Energy Conserving) synthetic oil will NOT cause clutch slip.
BTW what is your bike and what does the manufacturer reacomend ?
RakO

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
about crushability of gear box oil and other things.

ACS, Since good synthetics both cycle and automotive have simular base oils( PAO,Ester,Group 3 dino) I doudt "Crushability" is a factor. As far as ZDDP issue, most hd diesel oils have very high levels of ZDDP.
Check out this link if you feel my opinion is bunk. BTW What would you expect Spectro to say. http://ericgorr.com/techarticles/mototech_june_1999.htm
[

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
Originally posted by Muddyman
Why would anyone NOT use oil formulated for motorcycles in a motorcycle?

1. They cost many times more than non motorcycle specific oil without providing any more benefit.

2. If you read your owner's manual it will tell you specifically what kind of oil to use. I've never seen an owner's manual that specifies motorcycle specific oil.

That said, use what makes you happy. Just change it often.

Muddyman

Sep 23, 2001
If you jave to change it more often it really isn't cheaper. Besides paying $4 a quart for a semi-synthetic MC oil as opposed to $1.50 a quart for automobile oil isn't that much difference for a machine that uses 1 or 2 quarts a change IMO.

All I know for sure is I rode a Yamaha Venture over 50,000 miles using Golden Spectro (changing it once a year) and the valves never needed adjustment from the day it was new. The bike definately shifted and clutched better and the engine was quieter than with automotive oil. The fact that the synthetic holds up better in the event of an overheat is icing on the cake.

Each to their own.

Top Bottom