tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
HB 4323 STALLED IN SENATE

3-20-07 MMRC #18

For immediate release

Our latest information from our contacts in the Senate clearly tell us, HB 4323 is stalled. There is no positive indication the Senate Committee of Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs has any intention of moving the Bill anytime in the near future, if at all. That is totally unacceptable! We, as a community of users will make every effort to move HB 4323 forward!

We do not understand how a Bill can pass the House by a vote of 107-0 and not get

due process in the Senate.

We do not understand how a Bill that could generate millions for Michigan ’s economy

cannot get due process in the Senate.

We do not understand an economic generator that has a minimum 3% annual increase

over the last decade, cannot have responsible management tools applied.

We do not understand how the wishes of 350,000 plus users cannot be heard.

We do not understand how sound environmental protection laws cannot be

implemented.

We do not understand how life saving safety measures cannot be made law.

We cannot understand why the opportunity for increased tourism is ignored.

We cannot understand denying increased revenue for the MDNR ORV program.

We cannot understand denying county road commission’s additional revenue.

We cannot understand increased enforcement money at no direct cost to taxpayers.

We cannot understand hundreds of thousands of people being denied responsible

recreation of riding ORV’s on the far right of northern Michigan roadways at 25 mph.

CONTACT YOUR STATE SENATOR NOW, LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD ON HB 4323!

Visit www.ama-d14.org. or www.cycleconservationclub.org for updates.

MICHIGAN MOTORIZED RECREATIONAL COUNCIL public releases are the results of roundtable discussions by the leaders of the major ORV organizations within Michigan, representing over 20,000 ORV users. For additional information, call 989 469-2405.
or Thomas Dunn@ 517-896-9757

Z-8

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 25, 2005
Sent another (no.3) email to my senator Ms. Birkholtz :bang: . I very politley asked for her opinion on HB4323. If I don't get a response this time, I'll be on the phone :yell: .

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Please remember to always be nice in our inquiries,
and get as many people as you can to also write or in clude in your correspondence. :cool:

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
MOVING FORWARD WITH HB 4323

September 12, 2007

MMRC #19 Please post and forward

Having spent the afternoon in Lansing yesterday visiting various Senate offices, there is no reason we cannot get HB 4323 through the Senate, but it will take some serious effort on our part. There is little visible that should dampen our spirit! The budget process has things in quite the turmoil at the moment, that shall pass by the end of the month.

Again, my Thanks for all your efforts, all I had to do was mention 4323 and they said “the ORV Bill”. We have made our presence known. Thank You!

Our plans are as follows;

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 10TH, we will visit Lansing hand out questionnaires to every Senator asking them if they are supportive of HB 4323 as passed in the House. If they have issues with the Bill, would they please attach them to their return response? Included in the packet will be a brief overview of HB 4323 and a list of counties having an ORV Ordinance and its date of inception.

We will need some 12-15 volunteers to help do this. Need those who are good at speaking on their feet and feel comfortable in business attire. Most important, have good knowledge of HB 4323 and that information is available and you will be coached in advance. Please contact the following if you are interested, Thomas Dunn representing AMA D-14, Chuck Smith representing ATVOC, Lewis Shuler representing CCC, Pat Brower representing GLFWD, Dick Ranney representing MMRC/AMA D-14. Those in the UP, continue contacting Senator Prusi and Senator Allen.

To coincide with that, we need you to continue to send e-mails to your Senator urging the passage of HB 4323. From October 10th and a short period thereafter, we need a blitz of e-mails to Lansing .

In addition, we need letters of support on HB 4323 from governmental agencies such as County Commissions , Township Boards, Road Commissions, Sheriff’s Departments, Chambers of Commerce and Tourists Associations. Also included in this list should be a formal letter from user groups and each club. Especially from those considering an ordinance.

The letters need to be sent to the Senator for the District, and copied to;

Senator Patricia Birkholz (R), Chair, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs

senpbirkholz@senate.michigan.gov

Senator Michael D. Bishop (R), Majority Leader

senmbishop@senate.michigan.gov

It would be advantageous for us to have some rallies, especially in metropolitan areas, if you have any ideas and locations, give me a call @ 989 469-2405.

In addition to HB 4323, there are other issues we are dealing with in Lansing regarding ORV use in Michigan .

800 MILES OF NEW TRAIL, this is being wrangled with by Michigan Motorized Recreation Council by representatives of each user group. Give each one of those participating a lot of respect, it is not an easy task, but MMRC continues to move forward on this and it is expected to go on for several years before the final mile is on the ground. A huge amount of paperwork and the same for patience.

LONG RANGE FINACIAL PLANNING, We expect those discussions to begin this fall and it will be a ten year spending plan to manage Michigan ’s ORV trail system. These discussions will be followed by the need for additional legislation in various areas of Public Act 451, 324.81101-50.

REVISIONS OF 811 Similar to the above, but a separate set of meetings. There is a group in the House that would like to have a Caucus that meets periodically to review ORV law and make adjustments to keep abreast of the times.

All these issues tie into one another with many details to get handled making for a rather sizeable agenda. It will take the efforts of many to get them resolved even close to everyone’s satisfaction along with years of effort.

We are moving along rather nicely, but as usual in politics, far too slow. Let us not forget, it took three major efforts to get the current laws establishing Michigan ’s ORV Trail System a few decades back. We have a good shot of winning this one on the first try, but only with your continued involvement.

Later, Dick

Z-8

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 25, 2005
I recieved a letter from Senator Birkholz;
"Thank you for your email regarding House Bill 4323 which would authorize boards of commissioners and municipalities located within their boundaries of these certain counties in northern Michigan to adopt ordinances permitting the operation of off-road vehicles (ORV's) on the shoulders of county roads. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me.
As you may be aware, House Bill 4323 was introduced by Representative Joel Sheltrown on February 27, 2007. The bill was referred to the Committee on Natural Resources and Environmental on March 22, 2007. At that time as Chair, I was made aware of some significant problems with implementation of this proposed legislation.
We have heard from many that there are significant safety concerns with expanded ORV use by young persons, environmental problems involving increased trespass on state and private property and a potential for increased road damage regarding this bill. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind, as we continue our discussion regarding House Bill 4323."

I'm working on a way to politley tell her she probably shouldn't count on my vote in the next election :| (no doubt she'll be real disappointed :fft: )

bucky63

Apr 11, 2007
Senator Birkholz has been told of a lot of negative aspects of ORV riders in general (young people getting hurt, trespassing and damage to land and roads).

First she needs to be convinced there are "good laws" already in place to control the hooligan behavior of a small percentage of ORV riders and parents letting their kids ride OVRs without supervision. Also, most OVR riders are law abiding people and ORV riding is a wholesome family activity.

Second, she needs to be convinced that letting counties deciding on opening their road shoulders to OVRs is a local mater and not a state mater. Counties should have the right to decide how they want to manage the pros vs cons of letting ORVs on their shoulders.

Third, she should made aware that counties were deciding mater themselves until a court ruling advised the counties that it maybe interpretative to be against the current law and this bill changes the law to legally let the counties make their own decisions again based on how they see the pros and cons of letting ORV on the shoulders.

Ask her how much was the state hurt financially by letting the counties decide this mater locally. My guess is minimal but you better know the answer to this question before you ask it so you don't end up with egg on your face.

Just some thoughts from a Cheesehead with Yooper roots.

Top Bottom