bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
The Fisheries, Ecology and Parks Committee will be discussing HB2919 - increasing ORV tag fees MONDAY, February 3rd.

Get your email to the committee members NOW!!!

Here's my letter, feel free to plagiarize it (I did the same with the NMA letter):
=======================================
Lori Jordan
17624 E. Gibbs Lane
Mica, WA 99023

Representative,

I am writing to express my opposition to the current ORV tag bill (HB2919) seeking to increase our ORV tag fees. It is my understanding that the Northwest Motorcycle Association was interested in supporting this bill but only with certain provisions that were to have been included in the Bill. These provisions are not included in the current Bill. I do not support HB2919 as it is currently written.

The Bill was to include the following provisions:

1) Only the motorized users will be able to vote on projects applying for these funds.
2) Isolate these funds from the gas tax money and make sure our percentage of the gas tax NOVA percentage does NOT include these funds, i.e. we get our 20% (or XX amount share) of the gas tax money PLUS the sole use of these ORV sticker funds.
3) Requires detailed accounting of all NOVA gas tax funds utilized by DNR.
4) ORV tag comes with your parking pass to state recreational areas such as DNR land like hunting license does for wildlife funded parking areas. No extra charge to ORV owners for use of State Lands!
5) If possible, push for motorized NOVA funds to be administered by private Trust instead of IAC."

The only way the off-road community will support an increase in ORV fees is if we, the motorized users contributing those funds, are given binding, not advisory, control of those funds as administered by the IAC. There must be a written guarantee (immediate sunset provision) in this Bill that these ORV tag fees will totally cease to exist if appropriated in any way differently by the Legislature at some point in the future.

We are not willing to pay more money unless there is a guarantee that this money will benefit motorized recreation in Washington. Idaho already has an ORV Fund where 100% of the ORV Tag fees go to fund motorized recreation in the State. Washington needs a similar mechanism for funding the growing sport of motorized recreation.

Thank you,

Lori Jordan
509-926-5515

Top Bottom