tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
All:

Spent the afternoon in Lansing of Tuesday. Our chances are very favorable on winning, but it will be all uphill! The opposition is mounting and our work is increasing.
We have plenty of good support, but the very best comes from you. The e-mails are of vital importance and the strongest part of our effort.

We again ask you for yet another round of e-mails and handwritten letters. Certainly you are getting tired of sending them, but they work and are cheap. Thus far, we have not asked for one dime and it is remarkable how far we have gotten. We ask you make every effort to get as many sent in as possible. They will be the key to success!

Once the bill gets out of committee, we will have one more round to individual Senators with emphasis on Republicans. They control the Senate by a margin of 21 to 17. We have gone this far and we WILL complete the final laps of this race!

Glitch for the hearing. We CANNOT carry any signs or walk the sidewalk in a manner that will indicate a demonstration. First, we need a permit from the City of Lansing, that will not be issued because of construction in the same block as the Senate Building.
Last thing we want to do is obstruct the entrance to the Building.

We can and you are urged, to wear clothing identifying you as an ORV user. Jerseys, jackets, sweatshirts and t's are very appropriate.

All else remains the same;

Fill out a card in the hearing room, check box, you do not wish to speak. We have some excellent speakers.

Visit your Senators office, express your support to HB 4323 "as presented" from the House.
Need some Guides here to show people how to get the right office, volunteers?

Everyone needs to go down to the House of Representative's Building and Thank them for their support same 13 months ago. Let them know the Senate hearing is why you are in town.

Reason being, if the bill gets amended in the Senate and becomes unacceptable, we will again need the support of the House members to turn it down.

Looks very doubtful at this time there will be any money or fee's attached, no legislator, nor the Governor will sign onto any bill raising fee's or taxes. There is a keen interest by the important people as to the economic benefit, but with safety concerns.

We are doing great, we now must increase the momentum a bit for the win! See some of you on the 16th, 1:00 p.m. with ORV in the pickup.

later, Dick

OVER 50

May 29, 2006
Now this was a interesting afternoon in Lansing.I got to see first hand how a bill like 4323 gets raked over the coals by the naysayers an how it gets built back up by those who see the benefits to all concerned with off road recreation.Those who spoke in favor explained the steps taken to get this bill this far and the continuing effort it will take to promote our sport in a positive manner.Alot of support came from reps from counties were the right to ride along the shoulder of a road is already in effect. I don't know the total number of people that were there,but they had to set up monitors in two other rooms to accommodate everybody.Thats where I watched the proceedings.All in all I believe it went well.Onward an upwards!!!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
How was the mix of the crowd - more for or against? What sort of stories were told by the naysayers? Great to hear there was a big turn out though!

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
A big "Thank You" to all that made the trip to Lansing for the Hearing on HB 4323.
My apologizes for not being able to talk with each of you,but I'm sure you all understand that work still needed to be done.

We were able to fill 3 rooms and left standing room in the main room!
The list of speakers put togather did a fabulous job of getting the points and FACTS out.

The only true naysayer was Mr. DeCook, whom was there to speak for the DNR, CRAM, MDOT, and the DEQ,He brought the same retoric and false statements that have been brought to county commisioners. I beleive he was off his game today.
The Insurance companies also went on record as opposing.

I'm not at liberty to discuss the after meeting meeting that took place but believe we are in good shape.Still much to get done to keep the ball rolling.

Please keep an eye out for e-mails and continue to write your senators, be sure to cc the Resource Committee's members also.

We are a FORCE in Lansing and the amount of people was noticed!!

Thomas Dunn
AMA D-14
Assist. Legislative Director/Enduro Chairman

Top Bottom