phyerftr

Jan 18, 2003
Ok here is the short version of my problem. While removong the cylinder head from my 2002 KDX 200 I ran into this problem. I believe it is the governer not quite sure. It is located on the right side of the bikeand attaches to near the exhaust valve. While tring to remove the cylinder there was a gear in the way, I attempted to rotate the gear to clear the cylinder when i heard a click. I was one of those bad clicks that cause alot of aditional work :ohmy: My question, is there a part in the engine that could be damaged by tring to rotate the governer shaft. If this seems vague please feel free to ask questions as i am without a doubt not a mechanic

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chuck

Woodbyrd

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
phyerftr,

Yes you could have caused a problem! Goto the KDX Tech tips at http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/, read the two articles under the Engine heading - KIPS power valve & Top End Pictoral. Next make sure you get an owners manual, comes in very handy. After you read this you will have a better understanding of how these items go together.

Just remember that shaft has a left handed thread on the top!!

Now to what you could have done, nothing but that is not my luck. You could have broken the shaft that leads down to the right engine case. Or you could have broken the bracket at the bottom of the shaft. The last two are easy to fix but you will have to take the right engine case off. I would not run the engine until you have done some reading and figured out what has happen.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
So...you attempted to remove the cylinder without detaching the KIPS from the actuator shaft?

Ooops. :(

There is no 'rotation' of gear to clear the cylinder if the segmented gear is removed. They aren't even close at that time.

No, it's not a governor.

It's fairly common to damage the KIPS actuator rod just by removing the LHT nut while not supporting the shaft.

If you tried to force the segment gear past it's normal operating position, you at least broke the pin that's holding it in place!!

If that much force was applied (and the pin isn't broken) you should replace the activating shaft (the one that goes down into the engine), anyway.

BTW...KIPS= 'Kawasaki Induction Power System' ;)

Last edited:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
cc said--- :laugh:
BTW...KIPS= 'Kawasaki Induction Power System'
"--------------------ok, so what's BTW mean?? ROTFLMAO :laugh:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
BTW...Out in the real world..... Have you ever mistakenly spoken "LOL" when someone said something funny?

I have! :eek:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Wibby said---"..... Have you ever mistakenly spoken "LOL" when someone said something funny?" --------------------------------------------------------------------------------can't say that I have----though I might have commented along the lines of--"coffee on the keyboard". DOH!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
cicone said:
Wibby----FWIW----i'm LOL!!
=for what it's worth

Gee....this is fun......:think:

KIPS...yeah. I even knew that. My version flew for awhile...should'a been snuffed earlier.

Glad to see someone's awake out there........

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
BTW, why are you replating your cylinder?

Forgive the presumption, but if you rip the cylinder off without considering the attached gearing mech of the KIPS, how is it you come to believe your cylinder needs to be replated?

Top Bottom