jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Hey guys! Got a question or two for you. At the track, whenever I'm setting up for a turn and start hitting the square edged braking bumps going in (I'm decelerating, but it does it while accelerating too although not as bad), the headshake attempts to yank the bars from my hands! By the third or fourth lap, I'm so tired of fighting the bike I just cruise into the turns. I checked and greased the steering head bearings today, tightened the steering head up a little(bars won't turn to the side by themselves when bikes on the stand) so it has a little friction (they may have been a little too loose before), went through the front wheel procedure to rule out binding, and dropped the forks in the clamps from 9mm to 5mm. Is there anything else I can do?

I'm 185lbs. and a novice mx rider. The track I'm riding at is basically a sand pit. I bought the bike (01kx250) from a dealer that used it as a demo model. He said he put the next heaviest springs on it for himself (he was about 215-225lbs.). How can I tell what these are? I recently changed the fork oil (100mm) and couldn't find any numbers on the springs. I can't see any numbers on the rear shock spring either. According to the spring rate conversion table, my forks should have .44 springs stock and .42 for my weight. Why lighter? The rear shock is .49 stock and it recommends .496 (.50?) for my weight. That's pretty close if he put on the next heaviest.

I bottom the rear end a couple of times almost every lap so it should be soft enough in the rear. I've never bottomed the front but it comes pretty close. It rails pretty well in the turns, although sometimes the front end wants to push out. The front end also wants to dive down into the whoops even though I stay on the gas. I track pretty straight through the whoops (aside from the front end diving) and have only swapped through them a couple of times. I can't keep the front end up though! It stays level when getting big air (no pitching forward or back unintentionally). Hard to track straight on level ground (fairly deep sand) but I consider that a byproduct of the terrain I ride on (I assume). I put Dunlop's 733's front and rear on yesterday, rear and front end bites pretty well. Small bumps (mostly square edged) kills me though! Can anyone help with this?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
9mm's was pretty high for the forks, that may have been the culprit.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
One of the MX mags said that they found that lowering the clamps to 10mm increased this models turning. But, they never said anything about headshake. Figures. Hopefully the changes I've made are enough, you wouldn't believe how bad it is! I've totally missed turns due to lack of control and exhaustion. Blew right off the back of the berm! I find it hard to believe though that this will be enough. Besides a steering dampner are there any other options?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You sound like you have serious problems-the KX isnt known as a headshaker.I think you need to get the springs tested at a tuner to check the rate and compare to your needed springs.Also i would have the forks stripped and checked.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Checked for what? Do you think its possible they are bent or something? The only time I get headshake is when I'm hitting square-edged bumps and holes. Other times when the front end is compressed (jumping, whoops, ruts, etc.) I don't seem to be having any problems with it. I do believe though that the springs are a little too stiff. I'm very comfortable with landing front wheel down on jumps! It's almost softer to do it that way (less risk of bottoming!). How long do people usually go before their springs start sagging?

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
ouwa...that tankslapper movie hurts just watching it. I had the same problem with headshake as you literally exhausting me to death. But luckily Mr. Wilkey was at one of my races and gave me some sugestions...race sag from 95 ~> 100mm, front compression from 8 to 10 (i think it was that direction, don't have my notebook handy :think: ), and lower the forks to flush at the triple clamps. Helped a lot but I still need to do some fine tuning.

It was interesting that he said what causes headshake is that the wheel is actually trying to go around the bump, then hitting the next one and it begins to swap back and forth, instead of over them becasue of excessive forces being created by screwy suspension settings.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
jboomer im a bit concerned you have headshake going in and out of corners as the fix for one may make it worse on the other.I say get them checked but for nothing specific-just have everything checked to see if its all in good working order.You may have crud stuck in the base valving or a warped midvalve or binding in the bushes.Until you know where you are in terms of spring rates and basic correct functioning forks its hard to diagnose the problem.If its basically headshking going into corners you need to pull the forks back through the clamps and possibly decrease fork rebound slighly.

Spring sagging varies on the quality of the springs.Ive seen some sag after a week by over 1" but most will only sag a few mm in a season.

Top Bottom