Head Shake!

teknoterd

Jun 28, 2001
hey there
i have an 2001 model CR125 and i am not racing but i do have a few motocross style tracks and i may race a couple of times in two months. anyway back to the head shake, i have stock suspension set up and when i am tapped out in fourth and fifth gear the slightest bump or even on flat ground the front skips and jump and the bars full lock each way. how can i fix this?
thanks

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
You could try moving the tripple clamps up on the forks. Or a steering dampner. How do you guys keep from wiping out with headshake that bad?

dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
I wonder if headshake is a Hinda character trait. My son's CR125 had it worse than the Flu until I read an article explaining these step to reduce the problem: 1. Check your and set race sag. 2. Adjust your forks up in the clamps. 3. Increase rebound dampening.

I increased preload on the shock spring 1 turn (5mm) raised he forks 5mm and increased the rebound 2 clicks. One step at a time of course.

The combination made the bike turn quicker, hold the inside line on flat corners, and reduced headshake about 75%.

Good luck.

mxer1345

Aug 15, 2002
it's not just a honda trait though i think it might be the worst on a honda because my cousin has one and it was crazy until he got it worked out. i also got it and sometimes do still on my suzuki but when we raised the rebound on them by 2 clicks i think i did it stopped it from happening so much. also try to lean back alittle more because we also noticed at high speeds if your kinda forward it will happen more often.
Suzuki #953

teknoterd

Jun 28, 2001
hey thanks guys, ill try moving the forks up in the triple clamps and then work from there.
thanks for the help, ill post back if i need more advice.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The tip about setting the sag is very important. Nothing else will work right until it is set.

teknoterd

Jun 28, 2001
well i have moved the forks down in the triple clamps, but how do i set the race sag? it seems to soak up the bumps a little better, but it seems to hesitate coming in 2 corners and washes out in berms easily. but it does feel more confident at speed.
thanks any help would be appreciated.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…