ojasia

Mar 13, 2013
Ok have a '02 CR125 bought knowing this---> bike stalled pulled plug coolant all over it/ in cylinder. Pulled head, to me it looks warped and there is giant pits all around the flat side none really in the dome part there almost 1mm deep so I went ahead an ordered a re surfaced head decked at .005 later on reading about this stuff starting hearing about clearance compromises stuffing extra base gaskets and squish bands :O yeah. So idk if the guy re surfaced and put in a squish band. But really my ? is if the deck was re surfaced .005 what can I expect to have to do extra other then new gasket and installing the head.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Sounds like you have a detonation problem. If you look at the cylinder at the top lip, there may be pits in the cylinder lining too at the very top edge. If there are pits on the cylinder, you will have to have the cylinder replated. Lower your compression or run race fuel or both.

ojasia

Mar 13, 2013
so detonation can blow gaskets. Thats what I'm getting from your reply. and getting a lower deck will only make more detonation. So I should investigate the cylinder, from yesterday the real bad gu-gu stuff was the head pitted and warped. ill re-check cylinder for pits but yesterday when i was inspecting everything cylinder looked good.

ojasia

Mar 13, 2013
ok checked cylinder walls, looked good just a little maybe half inch curve on the top edge seemed burnt. not pits, and no warpness there. the head is what looks beat the H*ll up. But with this re-surfaced head I have on the way with a new gasket and I'm gonna pick up some copper gasket spray, you think I will be good to go. i dont really understand this squish band thing on the head. Sooooo ? if the guy that re-surfaced this head completely flat and didnt know about milling the squish band in will I need to take this head to be milled. or do you kno of people bolting on completely flat heads and running good.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
It is entirely possible, in fact probable, that the pits in the head are from a previous top end failure and not a result of recent issues. I have had pistons come apart and then chuncks of piston get slammed into the head.

ojasia

Mar 13, 2013
Why isnt anyone answering my direct-> ? (Question) ... It would be probable that chunks of a piston would put (Gouges) in a head if said pieces slammed into head during catastrophic engine failure. My head with the (pits) I'm throwing away. I purchased a used head that is re-surfaced/milled .005 shaved. My Question is should I just slap that new head on with a new gasket. From what I read there also needs to be a squish band shaved into head. Does anyone kno anything about this. or has anyone had a warped head that they just got re-surfaced (Completely)-> flat, and installed and it worked.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ojasia said:
Does anyone kno anything about this. or has anyone had a warped head that they just got re-surfaced (Completely)-> flat, and installed and it worked.

If you are saying it has no squishband whatsoever then no it will not work. If someone cut enough to remove the squishband then they took off a lot more than .005" .

That said, what you are describing doesn't make much sense, a picture would go a long way towards understanding what specifically you are trying to get an answer to.

ojasia

Mar 13, 2013
okay thats better so this is the used head I bought for 40$ guy said it has been re-surfaced .005 so what your saying is .005 is not enough to take off a squish band. awesome Thnx you thats all. Guess then I'm unclear on what exactly the S.B. is then thought it was some kind of extra milling maybe a taper from the dome out to edge of the head.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
That picture is too small to see any detail. Post something about 800x600 and less than about 160k .

Dec 17, 2005
You need to check the squish band clearance before you run it. Go to youtube and search how to check squish band on a 2 stroke. (The solder type is what I found the easiest.) Find your manufactures spec and make sure its ok, or you may be right back in the same boat.

Top Bottom