LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Ok I have a problem. After every ride at a MX track a few hours later I get these horrible headaches. They last for a minimum of 3 hours the longest lasting nearly 7 hours. I am wondering if it was my old goggles. I used to wear Scott Model 81’s (?) and they pinched my nose so I couldn’t breath. I think I inhaled too much dirt and exhaust. I just switched to Scott High Voltage goggles and they allow me to breath through my nose now. I haven’t tried them at the MX track yet. I did wear them at the TRH enduro and I didn’t develop a headache after it was over. It was VERY dusty at the enduro. Does anyone else have a problem like this?
I am also wondering if it’s from my head getting knocked around from jumping. My XR doesn’t have the best suspension and I jump big most of the time with hard landings.
Thanks.

Lee Wilson

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
I get headaches after riding also. I've been drinking a gallon of water a day for months and (though I think it helps) I still get headaches very similar to how you describe. I don't drink sodas and my sugar intake is pretty limited. I wonder if it has anything to do with the combo. of getting bounced around and breathing 2 stroke all day?

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I ride harescrambles and have had the same problem. I think it is nerves, diet, dehydration,and physical. Dont know about what to do about the nerves, but the rest is easy. Drink alot of water,when you get dehydrated your body does nasty things, you need to keep hydrated so the right amount of blood gets to your brain. I have read where most of us are cronically dehydrated. This leads to fatigue, and headaches. Stretch your neck and back before and during riding. Alot of pros dissolve aspirin in there drink packs.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
In addition to what has been proposed, I would really make sure my neck didn't get tense(stretching, warmup, shaking my head a bit while riding) and that I breathe properly (deep enough).

I think that you would have back and joint problems sooner than headaches if if was just from inadequate suspension.

KTM400MAN

Sep 6, 2000
I get the headaches also, and I think alot of it has to do with the weight of the helmet, and the strain it puts on your neck muscles . I also believe it has to do with diet too. I seem to have less headaches since I switched to a lighter weight helmet. I also believe that standing up more while riding and jumping has helped too. The whipping motion from landing off jumps coupled withv the jarring of breaking and accelereation bumps in turns while seated
can't be doing much good to the spinal cord and neck either.

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
I don't ever get headaches from riding, but sustained loud noises will give me one. Ever tried wearing ear plugs to see if that helps?

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
when i ate a lot of junk food and soda's i got bad headaches too...but now i have a much better diet and drink lots of water. i still get headaches after a long day of riding but they arent as severe and a couple advil gets rid of them pretty quick. also when i began drinking water it took me longer to get tired and develop arm pump

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Because my bike is in need of a new top end I haven’t been riding lately. I really appreciate all the advice and info you guys have provided. I have started drinking more water and only drink a soda once a week. I have also gotten my new Scott High Voltage goggles and can now breath through my nose. I hope that by inhaling less dirt through my mouth it will lessen my headaches. Again, thanks everyone. This is a great forum.

Lee W.

Mlcrandall

Sep 24, 2001
As weird as this may sound, you should get more salt in your diet. If you drink a gallon of water a day you are sweating out a lot of salts. Try eating a little salt twice or three times a day and see what happens.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Mlcrandall
As weird as this may sound, you should get more salt in your diet. If you drink a gallon of water a day you are sweating out a lot of salts. Try eating a little salt twice or three times a day and see what happens.

Now that’s something I haven’t thought of, salt huh. I will try that.

Thanks.

Lee W.

Top Bottom