DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I think I found where Kawasaki's real profit margin is on these bikes -- replacement headlight bulbs! How can they possibly justify $37 for a headlight bulb that doesn't look much different than an automotive brake light bulb?! A similar bulb for a Honda XR is only $7.

Anyone know of another source or fitment? I may not mind paying this once (Midwest Action Cycles will sell it for $29.33) but offroading is tough on bulbs and I don't want to keep doing this. I guess another alternative would be an aftermarket headlight of some sort since the stocker is nothing special, but I've got to believe there is a source for this other than "Genuine Kawasaki." Perhaps a cross reference to a standard bulb from someone like GE or Sylvania? Also, I thought I saw somewhere a 30W/50W version compared to the stock 30W/30W.:(

Mongoose

Apr 25, 2001
I'm not certain about the front bulb, but on the 2nd or third ride on my 2000 KLX the rear bulb died. I bought a new one for about $2.99 at Canadian Tire. Just a simple automotive bulb with the right voltage and wattage. Been working fine ever since. Should be able to get a front one for about the same price. You could get 10 of them and still save money.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Yes, the rear bulb is no problem, I put a spare auto bulb I had in mine. The front is just a little different than anything you've ever seen before...

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
Does the bulb have some sort of numbers on it besides the wattage? You could take it to an auto parts store and just eye it up to another 'off the rack' for a few bucks. An aftermarket headlight is good(but expensive) if you break the original...which isn't too hard to do. I've found bulbs in auto stores for UFO to Acerbis lights so they're out there.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
When I got my KLX recently there was no bulb in it. I briefly looked at one at the dealer (which I was going to purchase until I was told $37!) so I know very well what it looked like. I did look for some numbers or other marks on it but there really were none -- I just remember a Kawasaki marking.

Wish I could draw it here but other KLX owners can pull theirs and look at it, too. It looks a bit like an automotive brake light bulb but it's a little longer, probably a little larger diameter, and not shaped quite the same as automotive bulbs (maybe not as round looking, if that makes any sense?).

My main hobby is auto restoration, so I went to the local auto parts store afterwards. There was just nothing like it on that entire aisle of bulbs. What I really hate is I can buy a PAIR of complete halogen headlights for a car (lenses, bulbs, housing) for less than one of these stupid bulbs! I've even bought Hella H4 light kits for far less before. And of course this won't be the last time I'll have to replace it.

Maybe this is why so many serious KLX guys replace the front light with a KX number plate. I'd like to have the headlight for those days we stay out a little longer than we should.

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
I can check when I get home tonight which bulb it is....I have a pretty good deal with my dealer....he goes aftermarket but with the motorcycle industry for the bulbs. I recently went thru the same thing with a $19 acerbis pencil beam bulb. My dealer got it for me for 3 dollars and it fit perfectly. Honda's are the same with their bulbs.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
That would be great, not only for me but for KLX riders everywhere! Thank you.

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
I didn't have any luck at home finding the PN for the bulb but my dealer did and is cross referencing it for another....I may know by the end of the day and I'll post.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
I solved the problem by taking my headlight off and replacing it with a MX numberplate. I can't see well enough to ride after dark anymore :silly:

Top Bottom