Hear's one for the pros out there!

Quiksilver

Dec 14, 2003
It all started after my brother rebuilt a KX. It would smoke really bad then the spark plug would burn out. We replaced the cylinder head gasket and checked if the barrel was warped. I was slightly so we sorted it out. Now it is not to bad but it still floods itself. It runs really good but if you drop the revs then the bike will die out. You have to clean the spark plug before it will run again. The carb is all good, could it be the reed valves? Also the coolant drains out of the overflow loads. This could be because the cap is not the right pressure and lifts cos it is from another bike or is it related to the previous problem?

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I'm no professional mechanic, but are you saying that after the rebuild, your bike is fouling plugs and it is overheating?
1. Got the right heat range on the plug?
2.Make sure you have the right pressure radiator cap.
3.Any coolant in the tranny oil?

Quiksilver

Dec 14, 2003
The cap is not the right pressure so we are getting a new one.
The spark plug is the right one though.
Why do you think the bike is always flooding itself?
The carb is set up perfect.
The bike was not like it is straight after he put it together, it progressively got like this.
What should we try next?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Quiksilver said:
Why do you think the bike is always flooding itself?
The carb is set up perfect.

:think:

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Why do you say the carb is set up perfect? Every carb is different when it comes to jetting with different conditions. You can check you reeds for cracks and chips but i don't know if that would cause your problem. If it is flooding itself it could be your float level is off a little. That is a common problem with a lot of your symptoms. Your jetting could be way off also, everything depends on temp, sea level, etc. Doesn't sound like a serious problem you have just need to tweak a few adjustments.

Top Bottom