Homer88

Jun 8, 2001
hi there.

Went thru an article in a magazine on a YZ which was treated with this thermal dispersant paint.

Will hi-temp black spray work equally as well as a "thermal" dispersant paint"?

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
I would think not. Also some things are made to operate within a certain heat range, changing that could be detrimental to performance I would think. I could see radiators and calipers though.

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
I just read the article and it says it helps keep the heat where it is suppose to be and therefore keeping it out of where its not suppose to be. Sounds like snake oil to me, or very little gain if it does work. Frankly i wouldn't want my cylinder any hotter than it already is. Thats my .02 though.

Last edited:

Homer88

Jun 8, 2001
I wouldn't know about the part about keeping the exhaust pipe insulated making it hotter but the one about keeping the brake's cooler sounds "nice"...

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
The problem with that article is that there is no empirical way for the average rider to quantify any benefits. If you really read that article, even the magazine guys said exactly the same thing, there is no way to really know if it is helping or not. Besides, I think that probably the average rider would not push his engine hard enough to need such extreme measures, especially with the drastic cooling improvements they have to do to push 40+ hp from the factory 125s. Maybe RC or Pastrana, being factory caliber riders and needing every slight advantage they can get, but the rest of us?

High temp paint, by the way, refers to it's ability to be used on hot surfaces without degrading, not any heat transfer properties it may or may not have.

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
I am not convinced. Black paint will definately absorb more heat than other colors when left in the sun, but I doubt this same effect works if the heat is generated internally. Didn't Yamaha quit painting the radiators on YZs/WRs in order to improve heat transfer? :silly:

Whoops

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Man I love this sort of stuff. Yeah ok most rads are painted black but this is only to stop them oxidising which would cause heat transfer issues. If you put too much paint on or a good insulator then it will have, well, an insulating effect.

These people just go silly trying unscientific potions & claim allsorts of wild things.

Don’t worry you can trust me though. I’ll sell you some special chrome look paint - which is of course shiny making it slip through the air better.

Send your cheque to. . .

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by Whoops
Didn't Yamaha quit painting the radiators on YZs/WRs in order to improve heat transfer?
I think they quit painting the radiators so they would be silver instead of black.;) Or maybe they did it to save weight?:confused:

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
from a thermodynamic perspective,

to answer one question, radiation/absorbsion of heat is a two way reaction. That's how the silver "radiant" insulation works...how much light is emitted under the hood of a car, for example? None on the visible spectrum, but you will still see the silver wrap used around exhaust or air conditioner units.

If I remember right, the formula for the emission of radiant energy has a big exponent on the absolute temperature, so in other words, it doesn't make that big of a difference one way or the other at say, 170 degrees F.

Conversely, a 3200 degree F batch of steel in the foundry will throw off an amazing amount of radiant energy, which is why long pants and long sleeve shirts are the norm in this super hot environment. Anyway...

Remember, the heat radiated will be offset by the insulating property of the paint (it is basically plastic, which is a decent insulator) and its absorbtion of radiant energy from the sun and/or other objects around it.

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
The coatings in the article are some pretty high tech concotions. The average joe has no way of obtaining these without laying out some cash and doing a fair bit of research. Typically if you want to keep the heat out of some place you would use some type of ceramic coating since it is a poor conductor of heat. I'm not sure what they are using to improve heat transfer. I'm sure it does make a difference, but for most of us the money would be better spent on routine maintenance to keep what the factory gave us.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
I believe the DSIR did some research here & concluded at the small temps experienced in car radiators etc, the colour (read paint coatings) had negligible effect if not negative through insulation, when radiating heat.

I’d sooner spend my money upgrading the brand of beer I was drinking.

Personally I’m favouring that Nastro Allzuro(?) italian stuff at the moment

Cue silly off the topic thread discussion . . .

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
20+ years ago <sigh> there was a product called Kal-Gard. It was a special black coating that was sprayed on, then baked and in tests, lowered operating temperatures of the air-cooled engines. Not sure if they are still around.

High-heat paint is just paint that will not burn as easily as regular paint.

That MXA bike was a bit much. I can just see a guy in tears after spending all that money and then going to a rocky track and tearing it up. Wouldn't do his temperature much good.

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
as far as a ceramic coating, we want to GET THE HEAT OUT, not keep it out of the radiator.

Conversely, on exhuast, the coatings or wraps on headers are there to keep the heat in the exhaust, and to keep the heat away from other components (including intake air charge in some cases).

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
My comment on ceramic coating was aimed at the MXA bike not the radiator paint. For guys like us the best improvement to the radiators is in what we put in them. Engine Ice or a surface tension reduction product like water wetter is good enough.

Top Bottom