aphid200

Nov 1, 2002
I'm kind of a lurker because I don't own a KDX but have one in the family (01/200). Hoping you can help. My son needs heavier fork springs. My search of your group points towards FRP/Racetech springs that are short, cold wound, and don't seem to be very well regarded. Another route is XR400 springs which are most likely too heavy for him. If you go to buy these springs from Honda, they only list one part number anymore, so the various weights that used to be available for the different years are no longer distinguishable. I'm wondering if any of you have tried actual Kawi springs that are offered in .36 and .37 for this weight range? He might weigh 150 with full ride gear (including a few tools and a roll of quarters). He is a good flying woods rider but not a superscross type. Any comments on the Kawi springs? Any other ideas? Thanks!

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
I weigh about that and the stock springs SUCKED they bottomed out like crazy so I just grabbed a pair of Race Tech's off eBay brand new for like 30 bucks. They aren't as soft and don't soak up the little stuff as well but it doesn't tuck the front end in on hard braking or bottom out as easy.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Race Tech reccomends 0.4 kg/mm springs in the forks on your sons bike at his weight. The stockers are .35kg/mm The part number is FRSP 364742. I would opt for gold valves while you are in there for the best ride.

FYI The rear shock spring is reccomended at 4.6kg/mm. The stocker is 5.0kg/mm.(part #SRSP 622846)
You can go through it yourself if you wish. Race Tech's website has a calculator. http://www.race-tech.com/evalving/English/mctype.asp

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I've got a set of .40's from FRP

Seem to ride good for me! Way better than the tired ol' stockers ;)

aphid200

Nov 1, 2002
Originally posted by BJH
Race Tech reccomends 0.4 kg/mm springs in the forks on your sons bike at his weight. The stockers are .35kg/mm The part number is FRSP 364742. I would opt for gold valves while you are in there for the best ride.

FYI The rear shock spring is reccomended at 4.6kg/mm. The stocker is 5.0kg/mm.(part #SRSP 622846)
You can go through it yourself if you wish. Race Tech's website has a calculator. http://www.race-tech.com/evalving/English/mctype.asp
I've heard comments that the racetech calculator is on the stiff side. I noticed if you enter a different style of riding as a parameter it doesn't change the recommended spring rate. Carver loves those XR fork springs but I was thinking they were on the heavy side. I have not been enthused about shorter aftermarket fork springs. We're looking into a 4.8 for the rear on Fredette's recommendation (that young men rarely get lighter). The oem 5.0 is a rough ride right now.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The advantage of using the the XR springs is that they are muck longer than the stock spring, allowing you to do away with the 4 inch steel spacer and using that space for springs. You will need to create a pre-load spacer depending on how much preload you want.

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
.....What about the Kawi .36 and .37 springs.... does anyone tried them ????
I'm 200 lbs, i want to replace them since a while now but i still dont know if i go with Kawi, HondaXR or aftermarket.....
Is it only a $$$ question ?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Too light for your weight. Should be looking at .42kg springs.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'The advantage of using the the XR springs is that they are muck longer than the stock spring, allowing you to do away with the 4 inch steel spacer and using that space for springs.'

The 'longer' part makes them 'softer' than you might think. They are a lot more forgiving on the small stuff than a .40 of the 470mm variety.

Still, likely a bit much for 150# of rider-and-gear. Than again, following the FRP rec. idea, they may work just fine. ;)

re: the 5.0 shocker

A bit longer pullrod set will tone that down some. The devol set is only something like 1.5mm longer, so lowers the seat a bit less than 1/2".

Top Bottom