Greenhorn

Apr 4, 2000
Does anyone remember how long it took for their lower heim joint to thrash itself to bits after they discovered it had play, ignored it, then went riding anyway? Thanks.

99 380SX

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Plonker - How's this;)

I just changed the Heim in mine (piece of cake) 1 hr total time including cleanup - pretty simple. I noticed that I could lift up on the rear wheel a little while on a stand.

Now that I have had it apart (2 1/2 years on 1 bearing) I can see how you would not want this loose condition to exist for very long. That swing arm aluminum is not the hardest material. I think that housing could take a real beating! I wouldn't wait too long.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
KLX4smoke - I am laughing really hard right now (one of the few who appreciates my kind of humor!!)

Strick - must be nice to be dry...about 14 months is all I can get, and might be less if I was riding in the Illinois mud all the time, like in the good old days.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by marcusgunby
Cut an old back tire tube up and use it as a cover for the joint and it will last 2 years.

Or, just move to the desert(without your powerwasher).

vince

Oct 19, 1999
Protect your investment. Wrap it with a old piece of tube or go buy 2 o-rings slightly larger than the heim and place them between the shock and heim and you will definitly get more bang for your buck.

p.s. I saw a post in yahoo ktm250owners egroup that advertises the heim kit for $40.

Vince

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by vince

p.s. I saw a post in yahoo ktm250owners egroup that advertises the heim kit for $40.

KTM is lowering the price on some parts and this is one of them. I've been very pleasantly surprised many times in the recent past when I've gotten prices for KTM parts.

Montana300

May 4, 2000
FWIW, I got caught between a new heim bearing and a race, so I have performed an informal test of how long the bearing will hold up once it starts to go away. Mine got three rides on it after I discovered it was loose, then I went to E. Washington and rode the Desert 100 with the worn heim. It held up just fine to 100 miles of endless whoops. Upon removal I could see where the race had been pounded very thing, but the swingarm was undamaged and two plates that fit to each side of the heim were intact. This information comes with the typical disclaimer, but IMO if the heim is a little worn and you must ride before replacing it, it should hold up.

Top Bottom