Heim joint replacement...please help

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
What place have you guys found that sells the neccesary parts to replace the lower shock mount on my ktm 200? What all do I need in terms of seals and whatnot? Also, is this an easy repair, or do I need to take it to the shop(how many hrs)? Is the 125/200 joint the same as the 250+ one, and if so, do I need a different size drive to put it in? Thanks for the help, and if anyone near St. Louis has the e-rider tool to press it in, it would be sweet if I could borrow it.

------------------
'98 ktm 200exc

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Stock KTM parts from the dealer work fine, and I have seen some aftermarket stuff floating around this list too Mike.

I can tell ya from experience about the stock parts. You need the joint and 2 seals. The fische shows a combined part number, but in fact the seals have to be ordered under a separate part number. Mike's Cycle in Baton Rouge will have them in stock if you are looking for a supplier, www.mikescyclektm.com.

All PDS bikes are the same, regardless of the engine size. The procedure is as follows: 1) put the bike up on a stand. 2) remove the lower shock bolt. 3) pull the seals out with a small screwdriver. 4) take a socket with an extension, a 15mm rings a bell but match one up against the new joint first to verify, and carefully drive it out from the outside of the bike in with the socket, extension, and a hammer.

Once the old one is out, clean the area well and lightly grease the ID. CAREFULLY line up the new one and drive it in with the socket and hammer until the spacing on each side is the same, then put in the seals. Reattach the shock and you are good to go.

In case you are wondering how long/how complicated this is, I saw Dick Burleson change one in about 4 minutes, just as described above.

------------------
TexKDX

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
Sounds easy enough. When greasing the ID, as you call it, do I have to worry about the grease damaging the teflon. I have read that you shouldn't grease it on a regular basis for this reason. I think katoomer might have a driver, so I think I'll give it a try. My trusty local shop wants an hour worth of labor to do the work, which is typical, I must add. Thanks tex.

------------------
'98 ktm 200exc

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Very easy job! I just did mine last week on the same exact bike, just like Tex said to do it. Part# 503.04.090.044 about$60. Comes with everything including seals. 10 minute job unless somethings stuck.

------------------

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Mike -

Grease the ID - Inside Diameter - of the swingarm hole the joint goes in - to aid its sliding into place. This grease will not reach the Teflon.

------------------
TexKDX

Top Bottom