rmk_racer

Jun 28, 2007
I just bought a new-to-me bike and am looking forward to getting back into riding. I used to ride way back when in high school and haven't ridden since.

I bought a 2000 WR400F. It has a ton of power! Way more than I need right now but hopefully I'll be glad to have it someday!

I'm primarily a snowmobiler. All steep and deep mtn. riding and hillclimb racing. But I've had enough golf and needed a summer toy. Sounds like you gals like a lighter weight bike. This doesn't feel heavy to me for 2 reasons: 1) I haven't been on lighter bikes to compare to, and 2) I'm used to throwing around a 550+ lb. sled. But I'm sure like in the sledding world, lighter is better.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi. I'd appreciate any tips you ladies have for learning to ride on a bigger bike. I'm 35, 5'8", 160 lbs. Aggressive as hell on a sled but a little timid on the bike so far (only about 2 hours).

Shannon

Last edited:

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Welcome. to the dirt bike world again.

Where are you located?

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
welcome

rmk_racer said:
I bought a 2000 WR400F. It has a ton of power! Way more than I need right now but hopefully I'll be glad to have it someday!

I'm primarily a snowmobiler. All steep and deep mtn. riding and hillclimb racing. But I've had enough golf and needed a summer toy. Sounds like you gals like a lighter weight bike. This doesn't feel heavy to me for 2 reasons: 1) I haven't been on lighter bikes to compare to, and 2) I'm used to throwing around a 550+ lb. sled. But I'm sure like in the sledding world, lighter is better.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi. I'd appreciate any tips you ladies have for learning to ride on a bigger bike. I'm 35, 5'8", 160 lbs. Aggressive as hell on a sled but a little timid on the bike so far (only about 2 hours).

Shannon

Hey Shannon. You won't be timid for long with credentials like that!!

There are at least a few women on this forum who could keep you in good company. Work your way through some of the posts. Some fun stuff there. Not all of these athletes are "writers" by nature, which leaves the rest of us hungry for more details. I think maybe they'd rather ride than write- Definitely not a bad thing! :nod: Feel free to tell us about your rides, and how your summer fun is coming. Always great to read about other women riders. :cool:

At any rate, you will fit in quite well with the very talented women in this group.

Welcome aboard.

rmk_racer

Jun 28, 2007
Thanks girls! I live in Spring Creek, Nevada just outside of Elko. Basically right between Salt Lake City and Reno.

I ride Polaris sleds. I've been racing an 06 600 RMK and an 07 700 Dragon. This spring I traded the dragon for a 685 mod sled in the snocross chassis. It's a 600 with Carl's Cycle 685 kit, ported, cut head, race twin pipes, etc. 100% race gas, that thing RIPS!!!! I've had bigger motor sleds but in an older, heavier chassis.

Spent an hour on the bike this morning. I love it!! Man my butt is sore! I guess I'm sitting too much. I was trying to spend more time on the pegs but having a hard time shifting while standing...... any thoughts?

S

Apr 30, 2007
Welcome to the bike world :)

I've been riding for quite a few years...and I can't stand and shift either.

Depending on what type of terrain you're covering, the remedy to your sore situation might be to just stand for stretches where you don't need to shift. That or take a quick break every so often until you get used to the bike seat and don't need them.

Most of all, don't rush things...take your time and check stuff out at your own pace. If you get tired or sore, take five or ten, then try it out again.

I rarely run into the sore rear problem as most of my riding requires that I stand quite often, but I remember having it earlier on when I started learning to ride.

Tolle'

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
Use you legs to squeeze the bike frame when standing and shifting. Its an easy way to stabilize yourself and learn how to stand and shift. Once your used to being up there you wont need to squeeze anymore.

rmk_racer

Jun 28, 2007
Put about 25 miles on Friday. That bike is a kick in the pants!! Mostly rode rutted, bumpy 2-track roads. Went with a sleddin' buddy and were riding side by side so neither of us had to eat dust. Of course we were 1/2 racing most of the time since that what we do on the sleds. Sure felt like we were too close together but no mishaps! Going to buy a camelback this morning and then another ride this afternoon. Still working on shifting while standing, it helped to grip with my knees. Thanks! Now I need to find a LITTLE jump and see how he likes a little air!

S

rmk_racer

Jun 28, 2007
Hi again Ladies!

I have been riding several more times and am loving it! I've mostly been riding dirt roads and 2-tracks. The dirt roads are a little scary as the corners are "slick" with gravel. But I'm taking turns a lot faster than the first time out so I'm learning. The 2-tracks are a blast! At least until I find myself in a narrow 6" deep rut! That gets a little hairy!!!!! The throttle truly is your friend!

I'm starting to figure out making the rear tire slide around corners, found that out by accident! :yikes:

The bike is treating me good, hasn't dumped me on my head yet! I had new sprockets and chain put on it last week. And had the suspension softened up. The softer suspension made a huge difference. It was way too stiff for how I'm riding!

I've been standing more and gripping with my legs helps, thanks! I did find a little jump........ It's only about 3 feet tall and I only hit it hard enough to get off the ground. This bike lands like a tank. Don't know if that's just because it's a heavy bike or if I still need some suspension work..... Any ideas?

Anyway, thanks for the replies ladies and happy riding!

Shannon

RiDiNGCRF

Jul 16, 2007
Hello Shannon! It's great to see other women riders out there on the trails. I, too, ride a purdy big bike. My first bike was a 2001 YZ426F... So I started out on a big bike at a young age ((I was about 16 years old)) and worked myself up to the CRF450 that I have now. Words of wisdom: The throttle works both ways. ;)

rmk_racer

Jun 28, 2007
Thanks CRF! It's good to see that there are others in my position with a bigger bike. I love the power and so far so good with the throttle! Might go to a local track here and try it out this afternoon.

RiDiNGCRF

Jul 16, 2007
Aww!! How fun!! I haven't been riding since Memorial Day weekend :ohmy: I had a injury that left me out for a little bit, then I decided to go get my tattoos finished on my legs, and since they aren't healing properly, wearing my boots is a no go! I miss riding soooo much! I'm hoping for some Pismo action in a few weeks. Have fun at the track!!

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
Wow, if I could just lift those bigger bikes after a crash I would be all over it. I love the 450X's power. For now my 250X will have to do and I'll just be in awe of all you gals with those big girl bikes.

Apr 30, 2007
Oh to touch the ground on my CR 80, let alone a 450!!! The boyfriend has a 450, but hasn't let me ride it as of yet...

rmk_racer

Jun 28, 2007
Well ladies, I thought all was going well with this whole dirt bike thing........ Yesterday the WR knocked me down a peg or three. I was riding in a narrow twisty sandy wash. I got up too high on the left hand side and couldn't get back down in the bottom. The front tire finally caught and pitched me into the handle bars. I'm pretty sure I broke a rib on the left side. It hurts like h*ll and keeps feeling like it's popping or something. Hurts to breathe and lying on my back is out of the question! Good thing I had my snowmobiling tekvest on! Can't imagine how this would've felt without it! To make matters worse, the boyfriend was testosterone racing with some guy we ran into up there and I didn't see him again for an hour! :yell: I already forgave the bike, we'll see about the boyfriend. :p

Apr 30, 2007
Sorry to hear of your incident!! But glad to hear you and the bike have worked things out!!

I had a similar happening on thursday...Took a ramp-gap-tabletop landing, and nosedived it badly. Stayed on the bike, but did take a face/chest trip into the handlebars as well...

Helmet all but came off despite the fact that I had it strapped on pretty well...finished the race, and even got third and a trophy, but I was shaking badly when I got off the bike, and was still shaking when they presented trophies!

Sounds like you've had some great seat time so far, hope you heal up quickly, and be sure to keep us updated (I am VERY far behind in race reports)!!

rmk_racer

Jun 28, 2007
Congrats on your 3rd place! That sounds so exciting! I'm tempted to try it but really need to stay in one piece for my snowmobile racing!

My ribs are feeling quite a bit better, doesn't hurt to breathe deep anymore. Although sneezing still about kills me! I haven't ridden since but am itching to go again! Hopefully I won't get too friendly with the handlebars again!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
rmk_racer said:
I was trying to spend more time on the pegs but having a hard time shifting while standing...... any thoughts?

If this is till an issue move the shifter up a notch or two.

rmk_racer said:
I've been standing more and gripping with my legs helps, thanks! I did find a little jump........ It's only about 3 feet tall and I only hit it hard enough to get off the ground. This bike lands like a tank. Don't know if that's just because it's a heavy bike or if I still need some suspension work..... Any ideas?

Try landing on the throttle this helps stiffen up the suspension and soak up a bit of the impact.

rmk_racer

Jun 28, 2007
Thanks Chili. I'll try moving the shift lever. I landed a jump or two on the throttle, popped a nice little wheelie. Guess I'll have to work on my finesse! It helped the landings a lot when I put some air in the tires! :clue:

Apr 30, 2007
Just make sure that you don't put TOO much air in them...had the neighbor kid do that to his bike...and it blew up shortly after he jumped on it again...

rmk_racer

Jun 28, 2007
How do you know how much? It doesn't say anywhere on the sidewall. My service manual says 15 psi. I think they are Dunlop 739 or 759??? No at home now so can't go check.

KaTy M

Aug 1, 2007
advice

Hey there! Just found the forum tonight when I went on google trying to find some decent mx pants that dont ride up to my boobs!!! Anyhow, Just got my first bike a few months ago and am LOVIN IT!!!!!! Finally a little excitement for the Sahm..stay-at-home-mom! What a rush! I hate to tell people it's an KTM 85 cuz it's considered a kids bike but it fits me perfect (not too small) and as far as power goes...NOT a problem! Other than locking up the front brake my first day of riding it It's been great and I'm finally able to sleep on my right side again YEAH!!! So my question is how and when am I going to feel comfortable with sharp turns and ruts without having to slow down too much? The bike feels so light but has so much throttle it wants to just leave me behind!!! Any advice would be great!

Top Bottom