Helmet Cam Maiden Voyage.

B

biglou

No, it didn't turn out like the Titanic! I've gotta say that it's pretty darn cool. Easy to set up and use. Got some footage on the track and in the woods at Merwin, MO today. Went out for a couple of hours with Blue Thunder's brother, Andy. This thing makes even a mediocre rider like me look, well, slightly better than mediocre!

Couple questions for Okie if you read this: I noticed that the wind noise was like thunder at anything faster than 2nd gear, half throttle. Will covering the mic hole with tape cure that? Seems like your clip sounded pretty good compared to mine. My audio sounded as if the microphone was overdriven. My 2-stroke sounded very growly and 4-stroke like. Did you say something about having the mic external to the camera? Was that an option or did you just dismantle it yourself?

On another note, when I was done and getting ready to pack up, the requests for rides on the pumpkin came in so I let her go. First with Brad, who sets up and oversees the harescrambles at this location, and next with Doug Stone, former MX pro who I think was ranked as high as 28th on the SX circuit. Let me tell ya something-I've never seen a bike go any faster or smoother than mine was with Doug piloting it. It didn't even sound like my bike. Sounded like a rocket! That was quite a treat to see the capabilities of my bike demonstrated for me. I'm afraid she's gonna be bored silly the next time I ride her!;) If I wasn't standing there dumbfounded, I would have busted out the camcorder and shot some footage of that. I offered doug $5 to put on my gear and let me film him!:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The biggest problem I have with the cam now is the mic... (I do have the remote version) I've stuck it inside the helmet under the padding, wrapped it with cloth, etc... it's super sensitive. Today, I wrapped it with cloth, then electrical tape and then taped it to the back of my helmet. Better, but still not right.

Good luck with the internal mic, that's got to make it a lot tougher. I'd probably make an electrical tape hood, leaving a very small portion of the hole open, like "someone" else did... saw it in a link I believe in the Off Topic Forum?

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Where is the link to the video?

How come you don't have it downladed onto your pc yet so we can all look at it? Send me a clip or two and I will post on my web site for ya Lou.

B

biglou

I'm working on it but I have some problems. If anyone is knowlegeable about captured video, mpeg files, etc., please go to the "Completely off Topic" forum and read my post there. Thanks!

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Too bad you didn't have that thing going on the crash with Blue Thunder. I would have paid to see that film!

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Mics

Don't laugh and don't erase this. We used to have a little trick at the TV station that I did my internship at (many moons ago). The wind noises are more or less eliminated by covering the mic with a condom. I know this sets me up for all kinds of jokes, but it really works. The sound levels will still be excellent.

B

biglou

Wolf-That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! Just crazy enough to work!!
Just kidding. I can see that it might act as an "eardrum" membrane and vibrate with the sound waves while streamlining the wind. However, I think I am going to try my idea first (just out of sheer embarassment, mind you). I am going to tape a small layer of fowm over the mic hole, hoping the foam will kill the wind noise and still be porous enough to let the sound waves in. If that doesn't work I'll try straight electrical tape over the hole, or maybe scotch tape.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Re: Mics

Originally posted by Wolf
The wind noises are more or less eliminated by covering the mic with a condom.

Ahh, why didn't you use something a little more......"basic" like a baloon?

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
You are waisting your time(IMO). Put the foam over the rubber, no one will see it. Foam works primarily as protection, but does nothing for wind.
Forget Scotch and electrical tapes, it will not let waves penetrate properly.
Watch VH1 or MTV and look at the studio mics and the round screens in front of them. No, they are not condoms :scream: , but the material is almost identical. They are used as spit and wind guards.
If you have an external mic then the rubber will work perfectly and you can usually hide it with microphone foam, if you must.
Good luck,
Wolf

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Re: Re: Mics

Originally posted by MikeT

Ahh, why didn't you use something a little more......"basic" like a baloon?

Sorry Mike, tried it. Balloons, at least the ones we tried, are way to dense. You might as well put a plastic bag over it. Mind you, the main objective is to eliminate one without disturbing the other.

What might also work would be a latex glove though I have never tried it.

One more recommendation: Stay away from cloth or fabrics, they have a tendency to muffle sound - call someone and put a rag over the phone, you'll see.
What's more, the stuff slides around and creates a lot of "rubbing" noises that will definitely not sound to pretty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom