Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Okay, I know there was a thread about this before, but can't find it. Anyone have experience? Seems like there are a few options I've heard of, one of them : http://helmetcams.com ... (bigtime)
and http://helmetcamera.com/ (maybe good enough?)

Looking at a Sony TVR30 MiniDV, want to get some good video at DirtWeek (not just helmet cam video).

Any info would be appreciated.

B

biglou

I've got the one from helmetcamera.com. That is DRN's own "Helmetcam". For $295 you get the camera/microphonecombo, battery pack, charger and padded carrying case. This one requires that there are external RCA inputs to your camcorder and that your camcorder can be used as a VCR to record to. The lens focal length is 3.6mm and seems to be a good choice. You must "butt pack" your camcorder and the battery pack for the helmet cam. I have only limited test runs with it but it seems to do the trick. If you have video capture software, converting the footage is no prob. The instructions that are included are pretty basic but do offer some useful tips on set-up and use. The only issue with this camera is the need for the external RCA inputs on your camcorder. I have the spec sheet on this camera if you want more precise details.

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I have a Sony Hi-8 right now and I was looking at getting a digital camcorder, most likely another Sony as mine has taken some hard hits without any negative effects. The problem I am running into is that I too want to get a helmet cam, but all of the cameras I have looked at only have the digital video (DV) input port, not RCA. Do any of the helmet cams allow the use of this type of input?

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
My sony TRV-730 has RCA's, svideo and firewire. It's a Digital 8 not a DV. It also takes excellent one megapixel stills. Great camera\camcorder combo but a little big. Anyone know which filter to buy for the Nightvision bonus??

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I have a Canon ZR10 DV camcorder (about $500 bucks) and I have strapped that sucker onto my helmet before and will probably do it again (with duct tape of course)

I'm looking into a cheaper better alternative too. It's light enough that it, by itself on my helmet is not a problem. And to be honest, other than tree branches, it's as safe to me there as ti would be in a fanny pack.

The remote cameras (that you mount and plug into the camcorder in the pack) can be had on ebay for $125 or so but the cheap ones don't have an extended microphone so I would think the sound would be messed up.

I have an older video conference CCD camera that I've stripped out of the case and need to streemline it and come up with a mount. Short of all this, I'll probably just duct-tape my unit on my helmet again.

Sample footage can be found: Here on my trips page

Both a quicktime captured movie and some stills that were captured from the footage.

-MD

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
http://www.h2ooh.com/helmetcam/hc_setup.html

That's the sight that was posted in the General forum a while back. This guy tells about his personal experience with a camera purchased from http://www.helmetcamera.com/ I think this is what you were looking for Okie.

I don't have a helmet camera attachment yet, but I do have a Sony Digital 8 camera and it does have RCA, S-video and firewire ports. I've got all of the capturing hardware and software. I just got some new software that will allow me to burn Video-Cds that will play in DVD players (still with vhs quality and resolution).

I'm waiting for the cost of DVD burners to come down.

Sounds like Dirtweek will be a well documented event! :cool:

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I purchased the Pyro firewire card and Ulead Media Studio Pro software for editing and made some cool movies BUT how did you make the vcd movie play in your DVD player?? What software? I tried this before but my DVD player doesn't recognize the CD.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You have to have a DVD burner... pretty expensive right now. OR a DVD player that can read CD-ROM.

Heads-up for anyone wanting to get a new camcorder or still cam, bought my TRV30 from http://www.dbuys.com for 1249.00! The mega stores are selling it for 1699.! Good service too. They will hit you up for accessories, but not a hard sell.

Ordered a helmet cam with remote mic as well... DirtWeek is going to produce some great video!

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Camera damage

Definitely be concerned. When riding with mine in my usual tree nudging style, I found after the ride that the lens cap and part arouind the outside of the lens had a deep gouge in it. Luckily the lens itself wasn't damaged. If your sony is like mine, it didn't come with a padded carry bag. I suggest getting one. I haven't had any trouble with mine since I got a generic padded camcorder carry bag.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
You can burn the CD with a regular burner for play back in a DVD player. First, you need software that will burn a VCD. You can do this with a full version of Easy CD Creator 5.0. Second, not all DVD players will play a V-CD, but most will. Most DVD players say DVD/CD/V-CD on them. Some of the older ones don't. There are two formats that can be burned without a DVD burner, they are V-CD and SV-CD. As I said before, not all DVD players recognize these formats. Also, these formats sacrifice some resolution. A typical V-CD is considered to replicate VHS quality. The one good thing, is that it doesn't wear out or degenerate like a VHS tape does. You can burn a VCD from any finished MPEG project.

I'm on vacation, and haven't had a chance to experiement with a lot of the new software that I just aquired. I'll post more after I try it out.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Yeah,

I just got Adobe Premier 6.0. I haven't even loaded on my computer yet. I got it the day before we left for vacation. I got three new 3-D graphics animators and 3 pieces of software that are used to burn VCDs and other stuff.

Okie, I haven't even had a chance to look at re-rendering that project that I sent you.

Do you have Premier 6.0 too? If so, how do you like it? Did you make a decision on the helmet cam setup?

Top Bottom