Helmet cams

KXTodd

Subscriber
I know a few people here have used them. Where did you get it and how would you rate it? Did a google search and there seems to be a ton of them from about $210-475????
Is it worth the extra$$ for the 480 over the 380 tv lines of resolution (whatever that means)
Better with a digital camera to transfer to the web or does it matter? Theres software to change it over form a reg. camcorder right? I'm a little behind in the computer stuff :o

KXTodd

Subscriber
Hey, HEY!
It's more interesting if I'm behind someone else filming them right? :think: ;)
Looks like helmetcamera.com might be the way to go, says they have 2 moto tracks to test out on right in Fredericksburg :yeehaw:
http://helmetcamera.com/try.htm

KXTodd,
I purchased the helmet cam setup from helmetcamera.com and have been very happy with it. Here are a few video's that will give you an idea of the kind of video's to expect. BTW, I encoded them as WMV files to reduce the size so the quality isn't what it was right off the camera. They are about 15Mb a piece. I should have more up soon. Let me know if you have any questions.

www.jakeandcrystal.com/Videos/Lap 1-1.wmv
www.jakeandcrystal.com/Videos/Lap 2-1.wmv
www.jakeandcrystal.com/Videos/Lap 3-1.wmv

Helmet cam ! Very Cool

Does anyone have this type of footage for Woods riding availiable to view on the web ?

KXTodd

Subscriber
Great videos!
I ended up getting the 380 setup last week. Got some video of woods riding and looks cool but don't have the time right now to figure out how to put it up.
If you do a search theres a couple threads about videos that have some. The Garaghan(sp.) bros. have a website with some good woods footage.
Fastenuf where did you put the mic? The guy told me how sensitve it was so I wrapped mine in toilet paper and stuffed it into the bottom of my bag under the camera, still picked up almost everyting but makes my bike sound like a 4 stroke!
Also which camera is that? 380 or 480?

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
I clip my mic to my to my camel pack under my CP. If i take the fanny pack then i just clip it to the outside. I bought mine from HelmetCamera.com too. Only problem i've had with mine is one of the battery cells in the battery pack swelled up damaging the battery. Dont know how or why it happened and was just that way when i went to use it. Replacement battery was way overpriced, especially shipping considering i only live 5 hours away.

Hey treejumper, talk to a local Interstate Battery dealer--those guys can find batteries for anything!

KXTodd

Subscriber
battery cell???
Mine came with a battery holder with a 9 volt battery type connector on it, holds 8 AA batteries?
NOTE: unplug battery pack from camera when not in use! oops

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
I've seen ones that had similar ratings but for alot less but considering it died 2 weeks before Dirtweek i didnt want to take a chance ordering something that might not work. Also i never leave it plugged in so that wasnt the problem.

PM Battery
PM1208 12VO.8AH

KXTodd

Subscriber
No I was making a note to myself, burned up the new batteries the first day I used the camera.
This is the setup that came with mine, should be able to make one from parts at radio shack pretty easily.

Attachments

Originally posted by fastenuf4u
I purchased the helmet cam setup from helmetcamera.com and have been very happy with it.
What camcorder do you use? Mine doesn't have an external video input.