KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
I know a few people here have used them. Where did you get it and how would you rate it? Did a google search and there seems to be a ton of them from about $210-475????
Is it worth the extra$$ for the 480 over the 380 tv lines of resolution (whatever that means)
Better with a digital camera to transfer to the web or does it matter? Theres software to change it over form a reg. camcorder right? I'm a little behind in the computer stuff :o

fastenuf4u

Nov 16, 2002
KXTodd,
I purchased the helmet cam setup from helmetcamera.com and have been very happy with it. Here are a few video's that will give you an idea of the kind of video's to expect. BTW, I encoded them as WMV files to reduce the size so the quality isn't what it was right off the camera. They are about 15Mb a piece. I should have more up soon. Let me know if you have any questions.

www.jakeandcrystal.com/Videos/Lap 1-1.wmv
www.jakeandcrystal.com/Videos/Lap 2-1.wmv
www.jakeandcrystal.com/Videos/Lap 3-1.wmv

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Helmet cam ! Very Cool

Does anyone have this type of footage for Woods riding availiable to view on the web ?

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Great videos!
I ended up getting the 380 setup last week. Got some video of woods riding and looks cool but don't have the time right now to figure out how to put it up.
If you do a search theres a couple threads about videos that have some. The Garaghan(sp.) bros. have a website with some good woods footage.
Fastenuf where did you put the mic? The guy told me how sensitve it was so I wrapped mine in toilet paper and stuffed it into the bottom of my bag under the camera, still picked up almost everyting but makes my bike sound like a 4 stroke!
Also which camera is that? 380 or 480?

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I clip my mic to my to my camel pack under my CP. If i take the fanny pack then i just clip it to the outside. I bought mine from HelmetCamera.com too. Only problem i've had with mine is one of the battery cells in the battery pack swelled up damaging the battery. Dont know how or why it happened and was just that way when i went to use it. Replacement battery was way overpriced, especially shipping considering i only live 5 hours away.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
battery cell???
Mine came with a battery holder with a 9 volt battery type connector on it, holds 8 AA batteries?
NOTE: unplug battery pack from camera when not in use! oops

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I've seen ones that had similar ratings but for alot less but considering it died 2 weeks before Dirtweek i didnt want to take a chance ordering something that might not work. Also i never leave it plugged in so that wasnt the problem.

PM Battery
PM1208 12VO.8AH

battery-vi.jpg

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
No I was making a note to myself, burned up the new batteries the first day I used the camera.
This is the setup that came with mine, should be able to make one from parts at radio shack pretty easily.

Attachments

• batteries.jpg
    batteries.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 133

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
Originally posted by fastenuf4u
I purchased the helmet cam setup from helmetcamera.com and have been very happy with it.
What camcorder do you use? Mine doesn't have an external video input.

B

biglou

I've got a Cannon Z40 that I think I paid $500 for back in January. It has external inputs, and is a MiniDV (supposedly the best format for transferring to PC). Only caveat is you have to use the remote to start the recording. Not a huge deal if you're mainly a track queen like me, however!

btw-I had planned on making a full-on movie this weekend, but it looks like the weather may not cooperate. I've been on a tear lately with hacking videos! :aj:

B

biglou

I've got the helmetcamera.com helmetcam too, and a Cannon Z40 digital camcorder that I think I paid $500 for back in January. It has external inputs, and is a MiniDV (supposedly the best format for transferring to PC). Only caveat is you have to use the remote to start the recording. Not a huge deal if you're mainly a track queen like me, however!

btw-I had planned on making a full-on movie this weekend with both helmetcam and external footage, but it looks like the weather may not cooperate. I've been on a tear lately with hacking videos! :aj:

Check'em out:
Air Nikki
Air Jenny

Last edited by a moderator:

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Lou, you feelin alright? You didn't hit your head did you?

Your videos are so much fun to watch! Now I see what the fuss over Jenny was about! She's fast!

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
My wife got me the helmet cam for a surprise for me this past summer for my birthday. She had gotten me the 380 resolution for it was a $100 cheaper. I purchased the Sony TRV-33 mini-DV digital cam with cassette and memory stick, lil over $700 with rebate.....The camera is cool in that I can take snapshots off of the video at any time to the memory stick. I was super impressed with the 380 helmet cam until I printed out pixs, way too grainy for me. Also, I watched a video on a 42" plasma screen, and again, way too grainy, at least for a $100 worth difference.

Needless to say, I called the guys at helmet cam probably 2 month later (took a while to get rides in with the raining and such). Their return policy says 7 days, but I thought I would ask if I could upgrade to the 480 series camera. These guys rock :aj: , they hooked me up with the exchange!!!!!
IMO, with the 480, you can tell a noticeable difference, esp with still shots. I am very pleased and speak very highly of this product. If you plan on making a video or taking still shots off of your video, go with the 480.
My wife also bought this remote switch that starts and pauses the tape, so all I have to do is press 1 button which I have coming out of my fannypack.
I also bought the "hat clip", and have taken some very candid party videos with this setup. Its pretty cool in the fact that you dont have to walk around with the handy cam, just mount the cam to your hat brim, and with 1 button activation, record video and sounds at a touch!!! :) you'd be surprised the footage that you can attain to maybe help you out of a pinch in the future :o

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
zcookie49,

I have one question for you. I have the Sony TRV-22 miniDV with the memory stick. I bought the remote link to use with the fanny pack like your doing but when i hit record it records to the memory stick instead of the tape. If i take out the memory stick is still wont record to the tape. I cant figure out how to get it to record to the tape. Sony never returned my emails and without the remote it makes recording a real pain. Your the first person that has the miniDV with still photo that i know of and a helmet camera. Any ideas? Thanks!

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Do you have your Sony set to "VCR" switch when you turn it on? If you have it set on "camera", it will record to the memory stick, I had done that in the past and wondered why it was recording to the tape.....
just trouble shooting with you.... I dont actually take pixs while using the helmet cam, I record everything to the tape. Then later, I go back and watch the movie, whenever I want, you just hit the photo button and it will take a snap shot at the a point and send it over to the memory stick......
Let me know....

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Yeah i have it set on VCR when i go to use the helmet camera. Then you have to open the LCD, hit menu, goto page 3, then hit record. A PITA and that's why i bought the LANC controller. It just wants to record to the memory stick instead of tape. Thanks! If you think of any feel free to throw it my way. :)

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I just recieved my Christmas present from my girlfriend and it was a sweet helmet cam. the only problem is that now Ive got to get me a camcorder!!!

Whats the best cam corder that is easy to use that will have the lanc device(so I can use the remote).
I plan on makin tons of miles through the woods only to be caught on tape.

Thanks maybe now Ill be able to go fast.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Since you already have the helmet camera i'd take it with you and hook it up to their demos models. This is the only way to make sure it will work the way you want it too. Otherwise you maybe stuck like me with a camera that wont record where you want it to using the LANC. For helmet camera use i would go with the cheapest camera you can find with the features you need. I've come close several times to ruining my $800 camcorder in puddles and during crashes. If i had to do it again i would go with Cannon Z40 like Lou or the less featured Sony digital Camcorder. I already had Sony camcorders so for me it was easier since i have half the cables and accessories that you can get for them.

Top Bottom