wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
OK, now that the kind DRN souls have convinced me to get a new helmet...

Which helmet do you recommend???

I apologize for opening a can of worms (like "What 2-stroke premix oil is the best? :yikes: ), but I'm curious as to what "riders who know" wear. I am replacing an HJC "Effect" helmet.

I hear that Shoei and Arai are the best, but $500-600 for a helmet??? Wow, I haven't made my first million yet...yes, my head is worth that much, but you know what I mean...

Thanks!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
We've had several HJC series of helmets CL-X3,4 etc and have always been pleased with the quality/value. Lazyboy is wearing an M2R Pastrana replica this year and loves it so far, they also seem to get a nod for good protection.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
All helmets have different shapes; even their sizing is inconsistent. I'd suggest a trip to the local shop and fit a few to your melon. Even if you’re going to mail order the thing, at least you know what you’re going to get.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
While I love my Arai, I agree they are spendy. I didn't like the Bell, even though it was light as a feather. Shoei does not make one big enough for my nugget. I bought a Fly FL-606 for the wife, and it is pretty nice too. I currently wear an HJC-ACX-1, I think . . .

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I just purchased a One Industries Trooper helmet. Paid just under $250 for it a Cycle Gear with a 20% discount certificate. Based on my price range, I had narrowed down my search to the Oneal 904, Thor SVR and One Industries Trooper. I picked the Trooper because it fit me best. But the Oneal and Thor lids looked good also. I used to only wear Arai but got tired of spending that kind of money on something that I replace every couple of years. But they are nice; very nice.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Thor SVR! And MX South has a deal of a lifetime on the SVR2 if you're not real picky about color:

$96 for a $250 helmet! Very comfortable, light weight, fits well, removable washable liner, and looks good.

http://www.mxsouth.com/thor/thrhlmsvr2.htm

We've owned a handful of SVR's and love em!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
That's a serious deal on a very good helmet!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I have the HJC ACX-2. I like it a lot, Very comfortable. I had the CLX-4..but I kinda put it to the test, it held up. But it had to be thrown away. What's nice about this one too, is you can order different size cheek pads. So you can get a better fit. Phil also has the same helmet and loves it. We have both only ever owned HJC, even my street helmet is an HJC.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I can vouch for the Thor SVR helmet. I owned one for about a year and had to replace it after a head-on collision. I figured I'd upgrade to a Fox helmet and I've been kicking myself ever since. I wish I would have gotten another Thor. The Fox helmet fits well, but it's a struggle for me to get my giant head into it. I feel like I'm going to rip my ears off!

I have been eye-balling the Troy Lee Designs Ryno helmet with the orange and blue color scheme. I tried one on at my local shop and was disappointed with the fit. It was very light, but seemed like it didn't come down far enough at the bottom. I felt like my chin and jaw were hanging out of the bottom of the thing.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Bell Moto 7 is my brain bucket of choice. But, you have to have the "right" shaped head for them to be comfy. Its a great helmet but ALOT of people dont like the fit. Thats why I say you have to have the right head :bang:
Doesnt make much since I'm sure and I'm also sure I have not help in your quest so I'll crawl back to the other corner now.
Try on as many as you possibly can before shelling out the $$$

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Bell Moto 7 for me too. They always seem uncomfortable at first but after you wear them a while they get right. I always check with MX south they always seem to have some last years models they will let go at a good price.

CRspode

May 6, 2001
Has anyone tried the Bell Moto-7r?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=11934&department=201&Division=2

My hat size is 7 1/4-7 3/8, head is 23". I've seen a couple of Bell size charts that say conflicting things. One says it's a large, the other says medium. I'm comparing this helmet to a Thor SVR 3 and a Hebo HSX-2. I've tried the Thor on and it's nice. Large is the ticket there for me. I emailed the people at LewisSports about the Hebo two days ago and have heard nothing from them yet. I've had good luck with Bell helmets in the past though and I like the matte black finish. If anyone has tried any of these and can offer some opinions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Okiewan said:
Seen a street price on the TLD Helmet? Seems like BIG dollars (msrp) ... that's Arai - Shoei money!

My local shop had them priced at $425, but dropped that to $389 when the new models came out. That dropped it down closer to the Arai's they had. I'm leaning towards the Arai anyway. The TLD helmet has a line across the back horizontal fin that says something like, "For the Fastest Racers in the World." I would feel like a HUGE idiot riding with something like that on the back of my head. I'd still consider the TLD if they could change "Fastest" to "Mediocre."

Top Bottom