Helmet Recommendations

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
I currently have a Bieffe X-Tech helmet, but need to replace and was wondering what a good choice would be for under $150 being both Snell/DOT approved

Thanks in advance

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Assuming you shop at a reputable dealer, its almost impossible to buy a really bad helmet anymore. Just stick with a brand that you have heard of, and most important make sure it is comfortable. Take your time making sure. Also, many clubs are going to be requiring Snell 2000 for AMA events, I believe by next year. SO... you may find a lot of dealers selling "Snell approved" helmets at a discount, but they will be the previous Snell approval version, from around 1998. You may not be able to use them after this year. Others may have better intel on this issue.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
HJC makes great helmets, i have 2 and they fit and feel great, specially for 100.00 but im wearing a 319.00 MSR helmet, it feels like a cadi. I sure do love this helmet and when something is on my head all the time i need perfect comfort so that i can keep my mind on racing/riding. I do believe in ,,"you get what you paid for" here!!!! Its like compairing(shoes) Kangaroos or MTA's TO Nike or Addidas. Its like night and day. I never knew it till i got a really nice helmet. so much more comfortable on the inside. And super nice on the outside.

Dgaffler

Feb 28, 2002
Stay away from FLY helmets, a couple of sweaty rides and the strap buckles are severely rusted. Has anyone else experienced this problem before?

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
Right now for off road and street my helmets are HJC. If you're looking to keep the price down, they're a good deal. I'm due for a new helmet soon so I may try one of the new super light weight types. Don't buy a helmet because it's cheap, what's your head worth to you?

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by Dgaffler
Stay away from FLY helmets, a couple of sweaty rides and the strap buckles are severely rusted. Has anyone else experienced this problem before?

I've never noticed that? maybe you've got a bad helmet? I was going to say the Fly 606 is one of the best helmets I've seen for a $89.95 retail price tag, snell & dot, fits good, looks good. It's no arai or shoei but its also not $500.

Dgaffler - how old is your Fly helmet and what model is it?

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
I'm using the Thor SVS-4 which is in a mid price rang at about $160. Great looking, and is very lightweight. I don't understand spending $500 for a helmet. If you ever look inside of one, they are all the same as far as what protects your beans. Styrofoam in every helmet I've ever looked into. Does Shoei use a better grade of styrofoam than HJC or something?

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
HJC AC-X1... I love it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Shells and guts are not all the same.
Oregon Trail made a great statement. Read and heed my friends!

Dgaffler

Feb 28, 2002
Sage:
I'm not sure what model it is, all it says on the side is Carbon Fiber Kevlar. I bougt it new about 3 months ago. Im gonna take it back to the shop and maybe they will replace it.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
There is growing suspicion that HJC produce Shoei’s helmets (unsubstantiated), at least in the roadbike range.

The better model HJCs have removable lining so you can wash them. Now for a dirtbike helmet that should be compulsory. Just bought one, good so far.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Ummmm i have had my cheap HJC for about 4 or 5 years and they have always had removable liners in them.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
I’m happy for you. I thought the cheaper models only had removable chin pieces, but I might be wrong. Happened once before. Well not so much wrong as . . .

OK quickly change the subject to throw them off guard. Quikstraps (Goggle strap with velcro for easy removal) are good. Infact for trailriding I would never like to be without.

phew.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
MSR is Snell aproved.... How about your guys helmets? Snell m-95 to be exact. A semi could run my head over and it wouldnt crack,,, J/k But seriously, look for the dot and snell aproved. If it dont have snell on it, im not buying it. The snell aprove usaully starts around 300.00 though so good luck.

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
Thanks for all the replies, good info.

Speedy, there are actually many Snell 2000 approved helmets around from $70 on up, my Bieffe X Tech has a Snell 2000 sticker and I bought from Beldon Motorsports on ebay, so look around there are good deals. By the way I purchased another Bieffe X Tech, $70.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Mr. Trustrum...
I believe to be correct. I HAVE a helmet with a 'removeable' liner (hjc). Only the ear muffs come out. Well...that's all that's SUPPOSED to come out. You can get the rest of it out...but you ruin it in the process.

So..'removeable liner' does NOT mean 'removeable liner'. WHY would you think it did??;)

re: quick straps. You mean not everyone uses them? That some still use a strap all the way 'round? Nah! You'd HAVE to be joking!!

re: helmets

What oregon trail said.

And get what fits. THAT means, if you can chew gum with your helmet on without biting yourself, you have one that don't fit!

Get a decent air passage system too. Some helmets have openings in the front...and none in the back. How COOL isn't that??

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…