SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Hey guys,
I'm in the market for a new helmet as my old one needs to retired (wacked a tree real good last season, the foam is badly damaged). My old helmet was a HJC CL-X3 which was a great helmet. I've done a little bit of research and there's a ton of quality helmets on the market now. Right now, I'm looking at price range of under $400 CDN, preferably less than $300 CDN. This limits me a little bit, but there's still a ton of choices.

At the moment, I've really been eyeing up the HJC AC-X2, AC-X3 and the AC-X3 Carbon. The AC-X3 carbon is a little on the pricey side, but I've seen it and thought is was one sweet helmet. The only reason I'm considering the AC-X2 is MX South has it on pretty cheap right now. What exactly is the difference between the AC-X2 and AC-X3?

As you can see, I'm kind of partial to HJC helmets as I've been really happy with my old one and the price is right. I am open to other suggestions though. Thanks guys,

Steve

P.S. The other question I have is colour. Right now I've been leaning to a plain black or white. If I get the carbon fibre helmet it'll definitely be in the clear coat so I can see the weave. Thanks again.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
At a glance, some of these details will make a bigger difference than others. It appears that the X3 is better designed (if only a little) in every way. (Disclaimer, most of this is cut and paste from the HJC website)

X2:
Light weight Fiberglass composite shell
Low through, second generation advanced channeling ventilation system, pulling heat and humidity up and out.
Removable/washable DuPont CoolMax® Interior
Large eye-port combined with maximum range visor design for maximum visibility

X3:
ACM" (Advanced Composite Material) Shell Shell constructed using advanced fiberglass & Spectra® composite weave (probably stronger and lighter)
I-beam chin-bar design (looks stronger here)
Three shell sizes for a more comfortable fit (You'll want to make sure you get the right one for your head)
Flow-Through "ACS" Advanced Channeling Ventilation System
Easily removable liner and cheek pads for cleaning or custom fitting
AquaTrans ® interior material quickly wicks moisture away from the skin
Open Cell technology foam allows for increased internal air circulation
Padded chin strap design
Adjustable 3-screw "ram-air" visor with machined aluminum side and plastic center screws
Integrated visor fins to reduce high-speed lift
Integrated non-slip goggle strap holders on each side of the eye port (If you look closely at the pictures, you can see this one).

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I think the X1, X2, and X3 corresponds to the generation of the helmet. I ride an AC-X1 and it is a nice helmet, is very comfortable, and I feel very safe riding with it. I'm sure the X2 is an improvement and the X3 is an improvement on that. I'm so happy with my X1 that I would not hesitate to buy an X2 if the price was right even though it might not be as good as the X3.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Well, I did a little shopping on Friday. Tried on a One Industries Kombat. Nice helmet, fit well, cool paint job, but it felt a little on the cheap side overall. Nice helmet, but when compared to the HJC AC series it just didn't feel as good. I tried on an AC-X2 and it felt nice. Similar to my old HJC helmet, but better. I called my buddy who runs a dealership at home today and he said he can give me the AC-X3 for the same price as a One Kombat, so I'm going to go with the HJC AC-X3. Next question is what colour to get. I ride a yellow bike (GasGas EC200), but I'll be switching to a red bike (GasGas EC250) within a year. My riding gear is kind of a mix match at the moment (red/black pants, black jersey, red chest protector, yellow/black goggles). Right now I'm leaning to white as it's cheaper, should keep my head cooler and won't show scratches as easy. Otherwise I'm thinking either the MC-5 or MC-5F. Any opinions on colour?

Thanks again for all the advice.

MXobssesed4

Aug 2, 2006
SpeedyManiac said:
Well, I did a little shopping on Friday. Tried on a One Industries Kombat. Nice helmet, fit well, cool paint job, but it felt a little on the cheap side overall. Nice helmet, but when compared to the HJC AC series it just didn't feel as good. I tried on an AC-X2 and it felt nice. Similar to my old HJC helmet, but better. I called my buddy who runs a dealership at home today and he said he can give me the AC-X3 for the same price as a One Kombat, so I'm going to go with the HJC AC-X3. Next question is what colour to get. I ride a yellow bike (GasGas EC200), but I'll be switching to a red bike (GasGas EC250) within a year. My riding gear is kind of a mix match at the moment (red/black pants, black jersey, red chest protector, yellow/black goggles). Right now I'm leaning to white as it's cheaper, should keep my head cooler and won't show scratches as easy. Otherwise I'm thinking either the MC-5 or MC-5F. Any opinions on colour?

Thanks again for all the advice.

I got the Kombat Monster Helmet and I love it.

BadMotoWeazal

Aug 21, 2004
I just bought a new helmet. It's a Shoei V-Moto. Helmet House is a distributor for Shoei & my dealer told me they had a selection of the V-Moto on clearance. Regular price is $400.00 plus. I got mine for 249.00 plus tax. I thought is was a good deal for an top quality helmet. I've also had good luck with HJC & Thor, as long as the helmet has a removable, coolmax liner & is a good fit with a SNELL rating I'm all for it.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Well, I ended up getting the HJC AC-X3 helmet. My buddy who owns a Honda dealership gave me a great deal ($250 CDN) and I couldn't be happier. The helmet fits great, is lighter than my old CL-X4 and looks awesome. I'm just going to be sad when it gets its first scratch.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The finish on the HJC helmets is pretty durable. I've whacked my head on all sorts of branches up to 1 inch in diameter at speeds up to 20mph and don't have any bad scratches yet. I've also dragged my head on the ground a few times with no major scratches.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom