helmets

ezrider

Aug 20, 2002
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about dot and snell. Why are some helmets dot and others are snell, and then some are both. I am a little confused.
Thanks

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
In the United States we have two helmet-certifying agencies, the Department Of Transportation (DOT)(#2), and the Snell Memorial Foundation (Snell)(#3). Both agencies examine and test for different qualities of helmet protection. DOT evaluates the helmet for the total time that impact energy remains to the brain (dwell time or duration). Snell evaluates the helmet for; impact protection and chin strap strength. Snell evaluations are more ridged than DOT’s. Not all helmets carry both seals of approval, however the helmets that do, offer the maximum helmet protection available. Because of the many different types of impact force and stress found in our sport, a Motocross rider needs both seals of approval to gain the best brain and spinal cord protection.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
That about says it Jeff. Personally I would never put a helmet on my head that isn't SNELL approved. If it isn't SNELL approved in my book it isn't any more good than a bicycle helmet.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Hey Mike - Snell tests bike helmets as well! :)
BTW - You SIR are correct, Snell is the only way to go. Snell testing is different than DOT and all Snell approved helmets pass DOT but not all DOT helmets pass Snell.

The Snell Memorial Foundation was founded following the a needless death because of the failure of his helmet. That individual happened to be named William "Pete" Snell and he died in 1956 in a automobile racing accident.

Check out Snell Memorial Foundation for more information behind the man and the testing standards. I remember reading a story in Dirt Bike in the early 70's about the struggle to get manufacturers to produce quality products. I bought one of the very first original full face Bell Star helmets sold in FTW in mid 71. At the time it was one of the few helmets passing Snell standards.

Tony

Curtb

May 24, 2002
In 40 years of dirt bike riding:
I have been knocked unconsious without a helmut and woke up in the ambulance not knowing who or where I was....all came back in time.
I have also been knocked out while wearing the best dot/snell money could buy and ended up getting brain surgery. The simple physics are these: "there is no material only 1" thick that can stop your brain from flattening against the inside of you skull if the slow down (impact) is quick enough." If the standards for helmuts continue to be raised at current rates I predict you will be wearing a helmut that is wider than your shoulders and maybe wider than your handle bars by 2010. These monster brain buckets are tooooo big.
"but thats just my opinion...I could be wrong"

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by Tony Eeds
all Snell approved helmets pass DOT but not all DOT helmets pass Snell.

Not true. There are many competition only helmets that are Snell approved & not DOT approved. Usually due to the size of the eye openings. For instance Arai has a street helmet that is popular, the RX7RR3. When this helmet first came out (just called RX7RR) it did not pas DOT due to the small viewing area. DOT has a minimum requirement & SNELL does not.

Another thing to keep in mind, DOT does not test anything. They approve the design. When you see a DOT approval emblem all it means is the manufacturer is on file with the Department of Transportation as having a design that will meet their standards. When you see a SNELL emblem, you know that the SNELL foundation tested that helmet shell, in every size offered and it passed.

To me a DOT sticker is like a "inspected by" lable on a pair of socks. Worthless.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
While were on the subject of helmets..how do you guys feel about the 1/2 helmets that Harley riders (mostly them) wear? What about the 3/4 one? Cause I was out on my friends Nighthawk and got pulled over. I was wearing my dirtbike helmet (Snell and DOT approved) with goggles, and the cop let me off with a warning. But as he was going back to his car he told me to get a 'real' helmet, and next time he saw me with this helmet on, he would write me a ticket. I know my helmet is legal (I took my road test with it on), and even asked another police officer at the Secratery of State..he said it was perfectly legal too. My question is, was this guy just giving me a hard time, or is using an "off-road" helmet (as he called it) illegal to use on-road.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Farmer John
Not true. There are many competition only helmets that are Snell approved & not DOT approved.
To me a DOT sticker is like a "inspected by" lable on a pair of socks. Worthless.

I stand corrected and VERY Good point!

Rgarding helmets in general, I would always rather hit my head on the ground in a helmet. Less road rash to deal with! I do not ride my scoot or my bike without one.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Any form of protection is better than none. I've seen a few individuals at the races with those half-helmet "beanies" that are so popular with the Harley crowd. They don't offer as much protection as a full-face helmet, but it's much better than no helmet at all. Ever see those old clips of enduro riders from the 30's and 40's? These guys are riding Harley's and Indians through some pretty nasty stuff with absolutely no noggin protection. My how times have changed. If you're not wearing a helmet on or off road you'd better get your head checked out... while you still have a head. :eek:

And while we're on the subject, if the AMA is fighting mandatory helmet laws why isn't the AAA fighting mandatory seatbelt laws?

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
TransAm77,

As long as the helmet is DOT approved there is nothing wrong with using it on the road. Cops can't possibly know all of the laws and that one sure did'nt or was just being a smarty pants.

Curtb,

You stated that you: "I have also been knocked out while wearing the best dot/snell money could buy and ended up getting brain surgery".
Without the helmet you probably wouldn't even be here right now. :(

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
it still amazes me that the best the industry can come up with is a styrofoam sandwich to protect such a vital organ. someone needs to get to work. a good quality football helmet probably offers better protection or at least after a decent impact you dont have to throw it away.

dstorm56

Oct 24, 2007
Does anyone know of a review of Motocross helmets? I'm just getting back into riding and I've been out of touch with the gear that's now available. I would appreciate any advice.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Obviosly you used a search to get this thread from five years ago. I commend your efforts.

I googled "motocross helmet review" and did not find a comprehensive list of reviews, mostly just individual ones. I think this will be a long process for you and I wish you luck.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Unfortunately, you'll find more marketing info than real test data. As Jeff Gilbert pointed out in the 2nd post, look for the certification seals and then find a helmet that fits properly. Lighter helmets will have less of a fatigue factor but not necessarily better protection. Styling and name recognition should be the last consideration.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006

Motorcyle helmets have to deal with substantially greater impact forces than a football helmet. While foam rubber like that found in football helmets may be able to withstand multiple impacts without damage to the helmet and may feel softer so an impact doesn't hurt as badly, it just doesn't have the same ability to absorb energy as a hard foam does. The hard foam may hurt more when you hit the ground and may daze you a little more, it may crack or be permanently compressed, but it's protects you better in the event of a big crash.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
dstorm56 said:
Does anyone know of a review of Motocross helmets? I'm just getting back into riding and I've been out of touch with the gear that's now available. I would appreciate any advice.
I will point this out. When you are looking for a helmet, have someone else look at you with the helmet on for this reason. I wanted to get one of the new in style helmets of the time back in 2000. What my wife noticed when I put it on was that the helmet was relatively short so a lot of my jaw was exposed. I tried on another helmet and it was taller, so my jaw was more covered up. The other thing that a taller helmet does is that it lessens the distance between the bottom of your head and the top of your shoulders. Minimizing this distance is what all the neck collars are trying to do to help prevent neck injuries.

I wear the taller helmet AND a neck brace because I believe it gives me better protection for my neck and jaw.

This is my take on this subject and I would take a look at all these aspects when buying a new helmet.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Not sure when you last wore a football helmet, but most that I've seen lately have gel and air bladders in them.

I will agree they are made more for multiple lower speed impacts than a motorcycle helmet, but that air bladder system might be something for the motorcycle helmet mfrs to look at to see if it's something to help fit more heads more comfortably. :think:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…