firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well tax return time is nearing, and I need a new helmet. The old HJC CLX-2 has served its purpose--it's about 5 years old now and while I've never crashed in it (on my head anyway), I just plain want a newer, lighter one. So I've been cruising the MX South closeout catalogs and narrowed it down to 3 possibilities:

They're all in the same price range, and they're all from last year or the year before so they're marked down. Anyone had recent versions of these? I've had the HJC AC-X1 before (was stolen), and really liked it, but I don't know much about the other two here.

Thanks

Thor SVR 2

MSR System X

HJC AC-X1 Neo

Last edited:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
The MSR system X that I tried on felt very heavy, so I disn't even bother after I felt the weight. The other 2 I have no idea about. But don't forget the Fly helmets. You can find the Fly lite II for around $120 (for the lefovers). They are really light, and the cheekpads can be changed to fit.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
THOR THOR THOR!!! I love my SVR2!!! By the way - it's made by HJC, or at least the foam core, as it's stamped HJC inside when you remove the washable liner.

It's super comfortable (way way way more than all the Bells I owned in the past) and light and the perfect size (like for instance the M2R's I've tried on don't seem to come down as low in the chin area as I would prefer and feels top heavy). One day I was running around the house with my Thor on my head and I layed down on the living room floor on my back and just fell asleep for a 1 hour nap. It's that comfortable!! :cool:

Red feels the same about his SVR and he's had a few different helmet brands in the past (Bell, HJC, O'Neal).

But your best bet is getting to a dealer and trying the helmets on before you buy to decide on model and size.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'm with Nikki on this. After wearing nothing but Bell, Simpson and Arai for 25 years I bought a Thor SVR2 this past season and I can't imagine finding a nicer more comfortable helmet for the money. Outstanding build quality and features that rival the $400 plus helmets. I looked at Okie's M2R and wasn't real impressed with the build quality and I think the SVR2 seems every bit as nice as his high end Fox helmet. I thought the SVR was a great deal at the $249 I paid for mine, at the year end price that MX-South has it's an absolute steal.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by nikki
THOR THOR THOR!!!

One day I was running around the house with my Thor on my head and I layed down on the living room floor on my back and just fell asleep for a 1 hour nap. It's that comfortable!! :cool:

LOL, nikki!!

Thor will probably be my next bucket too.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I'd say Thor, Sarah has had hers since last april and loves it. Good fit, good protection, easy to clean and wash interior, cool design/paint and a good company. Not to mention that Thor is a big supporter of DirtWeek and we always say we support those that support us, here's your opportunity.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I did not like the HJC I had and figured it out after a helmet killing crash. It saved my head however so it did it's job.
The styrofoam in the helmet was not form-fitted to the shell and this allowed the sfoam to crack very easily. I run Arai now and it's sfoam is formed well into shell of the lid. Checking that aspect is my only advice.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I don't think she's looking for a $400 + Arai ...

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
RGR, I just meant I notice a definate build/safety quality difference.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks guys. The Thor is sounding pretty good, it's a pretty good style, and it's a nice compromise in price. I do not have $400 to spend on a helmet nor would I if I did, but neither will I ride with a $100 helmet. $250 marked down to closeout will be just right. Hopefully they still have my size in stock by the time I have some $$. I'm tempted to do it now but I have bills to pay . . . and I'm getting a new enduro coat and 2 pairs of gloves, one normal and one cold weather, at the same time. Buy all the stuff I've been whining about when I need it.

Top Bottom