JRude

Feb 29, 2004
Just finished takeing the bottom end apart on my sons cr 85. This all started a month ago when the bike quit running. Took the cylinder off and found the top of the piston had some metal pieces embedded in it. At first I thought the metal was a piece of the ring but it was all intake. The cylinder head also was pitted. I took the engine out pored a little gas down inside the crank case and tried to flush out any material and nothing came out. Took my dremel tool and smoothed out the cylinder head in the squash band. I didn't take much material just enough to take down the high spots. Checked the rod for free play up and down and felt tight. Put new piston and rings back in and the bike ran fine. Compression was 150 psi. Did the usual break in for the piston and rings. My son took the bike out it ran fine for about 15 minutes and then he came in and couldn't get the bike to start. Took the cylinder off and it had the same size metal pieces in the top of the piston. The ring was still on the piston intake. This time it scratched the side of the cylinder. Sent off the cylinder to Eric to have him look at it and see if he can repair it. I took the case apart tonight and I expected to see some metal shaving or something but nothing. All bearing look good no broken teeth off any gears no broken or missing clips or washers. I am planning on putting new crank shaft bearing and new oil seals. The crank shaft bearing looks and sounds good. I just don't know where the metal is coming from. Both times it looked like pieces of the ring but the ring was all there. Any ideas????????

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Sounds like detonation. If the bike is running too lean or the compression is too high for the fuel you are using it will detonate and chew apart the top of the piston and head.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The piece of metal is from your big end rod bearing on your crank. I know...doesnt sound possible. They look like small pieces from a piston ring, right???

Trust me, it is. We just finished going through the same thing on an 02 cr 80. At no time did the bad bearing measure out of spec or have play.

If you run it more, the pieces destroy the cylinder na dhead. As more pieces fly out, the play will be noticed.

The only solution is a new or rebuilt crank.

JRude

Feb 29, 2004
You were exactly correct. I went and looked very closely at the rod end bearing and I can see three places were it has come apart. Thanks for the help. I would have probably put it back in since it didn't have any free play in it. You just save me from going thru this again.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
JRude said:
You were exactly correct. I went and looked very closely at the rod end bearing and I can see three places were it has come apart. Thanks for the help. I would have probably put it back in since it didn't have any free play in it. You just save me from going thru this again.

I am glad i could help. I have never seen a bike that failed like these do. You would think a feeler guage would show problems.

I put ours back together with a bad crank bearing. It ran for 10 minutes. After that failure you could see missing rollers.

Top Bottom