Nov 18, 2016
I'm new to this site so first off hello all and I appreciate any and all info I may receive back from you. if I'm doing this wrong I'm sorry I've honestly never used a forum.
the reason why I'm posting is I'm the proud new owner of a 1985 kx250. bike screams and the powerband is very healthy. I'm about 5'7 130 lbs and between the torque and acceleration it wants to throw me off the back. **but that doesn't mean I don't like that :D. anyways I was recently offered a 2003 rm100 which from the little I've been able to find researching is actually a kawi made bike if I'm not mistaken? the most important question is trade wise would I be downgrading? or upgrading since it's a newer bike? thank you for any help! p.s. my fiance broke her arm in half on the kx and wants it gone.... but don't make that a bias lol

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The RM100 is basically a mini with more displacement while the KX 250 is a full size bike.

The RM will be underpowered compared to the KX250 but at your weight that will only be an issue if you are racing MX. Trails and even Harescramble racing won't be a significant disadvantage unless you have a lot of hills.

The RM100 will have better suspension due to 18 years of advancement. But with your height you may be a bit cramped on the RM100 but the ergos of the 85 KX are not that nice either (when compared to a newer KX 250). Won't be able to tell unless you ride the RM and see if you can go from sitting to standing and get up on the tank in corners without issue.

Below is some info on the RM100 I found...

Suzuki made a model called RM100 already in the seventies and early eighties, but here's the 21st century version of the small motocrosser.

”This new mid-size motocross model that bridges the gap between mini-class models and full-size 125 and 250 models. The high-revving, liquid-cooled engine has emphasis on low-to-mid rpm power while retaining excellent top-end power.”

The 2003 RM100 was actually a Kawasaki KX100 with yellow plastic as part of the Kawasaki-Suzuki alliance. Other shared models were the DR-Z110 (Kawasaki KLX110), the RM65 (Kawasaki KX65), the DR-Z125 (Kawasaki KLX125), the DR-Z400 (Kawasaki KLX400) and they jointly developed the RM-Z 250/KX-F 250. Suzuki designed the engine and Kawasaki did all the leg work, which explains how it acts nothing like any other Suzuki.

RM 100 2003
Overall Length: 1,910 mm (75.2 in)
Overall Width: 735 mm (28.9 in)
Overall Height: 1,105 mm (43.5 in)
Seat Height: 870 mm (34.3 in)
Wheelbase 1,290 mm (50.8 in)
Ground Clearance: 380 mm (15.0 in)
Dry Weight: 68 kg (150 lbs)
Engine type: Water-cooled 99 cc 1-cylinder 2-stroke. Effect, torque: ?

2003 RM100 specifications
Engine type: Liquid-cooled 1-cylinder 2-stroke
Cylinder displacement: 99,0 cc
Bore x stroke: 52.5 x 45.8 mm
Compression ratio: 9,6/8,8 :1
Carburetor: Keihin PWK28
Transmission: 6-speed constant mesh
Final drive: #428 chain
Ignition: CDI
Front suspension: Inverted, leading axle, 18-way adjustable compression damping
Front suspension travel: 275 mm (10.8 in.)
Rear suspension: Link-type, fully-adj. spring preload, 4-way adjustable rebound damping, 16-way adjustable rebound damping
Rear suspension travel: 275 mm (10.8 in.)
Front brake: Single hydraulic disc
Rear brake: Single hydraulic disc
Front tyre dimension: 70/100-19 42M
Rear tyre dimension: 90/100-16 52M
Fuel tank capacity: 5,7 liter incl.reserve (1.5 US gal.)
Color: Yellow

Nov 18, 2016
Wow thank you for such a quick response I see the people here are very nice and willing to help. thank you for the specs to. I'm super excited to test this bike out soon. just one last question you may or may not know. my bike has 5 gears and does about 65. his bike has 6 but he said he doesn't know how fast it is. I know it sounds dumb but top end is a factor. and I like peppy machines. what do you think the rough guessed top end would be? and does it have peppy acceleration?
Thank you sir I very much appreciate it.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Top speed on a dirtbike only matters in the desert and even then it is more rider than bike.

Hitting a tree in 2nd on the gas can cause plenty enough damage that I never worried about top speed in 5th and in the woods I needed the brakes more than I needed 5th gear.

Sorry... not much help on top speed.

Ivan

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
I'm new to this site so first off hello all and I appreciate any and all info I may receive back from you. if I'm doing this wrong I'm sorry I've honestly never used a forum.
the reason why I'm posting is I'm the proud new owner of a 1985 kx250. bike screams and the powerband is very healthy. I'm about 5'7 130 lbs and between the torque and acceleration it wants to throw me off the back. **but that doesn't mean I don't like that :D. anyways I was recently offered a 2003 rm100 which from the little I've been able to find researching is actually a kawi made bike if I'm not mistaken? the most important question is trade wise would I be downgrading? or upgrading since it's a newer bike? thank you for any help! p.s. my fiance broke her arm in half on the kx and wants it gone.... but don't make that a bias lol
Go to home depot, buy a shed, a tarp and hide it, shes mad now, bones heal, missing fun bikes sucks!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom