ROADRACER

Oct 7, 2000
I have a 87 XL600 that dies when it gets hot.It doesn't have any spark and when it cools down it will start back up.It has had a new top end ,and 2 new ciols.When I check the electrical components against the specs in the shop manual they are all within limits. Has anyone else ever had this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks ,Mike

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
Early XR's XL's had problems with the stator going bad, contact baja designs or Ricky stator ( both found in the back of the d bike mags, or on the internet). It's much cheaper to get it rewound or repaired than a new and I wouldn't buy used. I would contact these people because they could give you an idea of how many of these they have repaired, they would know if your's has a high failure rate. Also try contacting people that specialize in XR's as they are very similar.

offroad toad

Aug 3, 2001
Start with the pulse generator, when they fail they work till they get then hot then they fail to work until they get cool again. The only REAL way to test them is with a peak voltage tester that measures the peak of the a.c. sine wave produced by the pulser. The pulsers output is too small to be read by a regular multimeter. The resistance test in the manuals are pretty much worthless.

Here is what you do; take a reading on pulser output when the bike is known good (cold) pack up your peak voltage tester and go for a ride, when the bike stops check again. ( bring something to drink and a magazine to read as you wait for the bike to run again).

:D

offroad toad

Aug 3, 2001
Oh yeah, if that does not work check the resistor in the spark plug cap. These usally cause the bike to miss at high rpm first and then the bike stops running.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
When I worked at dealerships we would get mystery spark bikes.
I was taught that the values in the manuals are for reference and not really an end all # or determiner of a faulty component.
There were times that the only way we could make stuff run right was to have a running version of the problem bike come in and start swapping components untill the bike ran right.
I know this sounds crude, but I had a Yamaha Service rep tell me this.
On older bikes with spark problems it is also a good idea to clean all the connectors and double check all grounds.
I tell people to spend the moneyt at a good dealer who will charge you for only the component that is faulty and not every one they have to try.
An independent shop does not normally have this option.

Top Bottom