Help, 99 65sx kickstarter has a mind of its own

JAJ

Mar 14, 2000
Not sure what to think. The kickstarter on our 99 wont return all the way back up after you kick it. It starts, mind you, but when the you shut off the motor the kickstarter will shake violently back and forth. Weird stuff.
Also, if I have the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in and spin the wheel, the kickstarter will ratchet back and forth once, and then it stops...

I did pull the cover off to take a look and it seemed like the return spring was working fine.

Any suggestions?

Much thanks!

JJ

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Sounds like the shaft is binding in the case. Try removing the right side cover and look for abnormal wear around the bore where the kickstarter shaft runs through. If there was a chunk of old gasket underneath a good new gasket that could make the side cover flex when tightened.
Good luck

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
there is also a flat arm that has two bolts going into the case. this arm holds the kickstarter gear in place. make sure it did not come loose or is worn out.

JAJ

Mar 14, 2000
Thanks guys. I did pull of the cover, I couldn't find anything amiss. The little arm with the two bolts seems fine. There was a small nick in it, but I was able to dremel it smooth. I dont know what to think.

I do have one other question. On page 12 of the Motor parts manual, part number 2 (shaft seal ring 14x24x7). I'm not sure than I can find that part on my bike. Is it inside or outside the case. This is weird.

Thanks again!

JJ

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
That's the seal that is in the clutch cover where the shaft exits the cover.

With the cover off, put the lever back on and with your hand, push it down and watch the gear movement. Sounds like it's catching on something. Make sure none of the teeth on the gears are damaged.

Top Bottom