help a girl out w/ 00' KDX 220

redwood

Sep 15, 2002
i just bought a used kdx 220 2000 and i am having a problem with excelerating through 1st and 2nd... it doesnt hesitate it sputters like a miss through first and second then disapperes through 3rd and 4th .... so only initially. i changed the plug, what could be causing it? thanks everyone. :think:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
try posting this in the kdx only forum. betch'ya those guy know.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Ditto to SFC,

Check your clutch free play, A light clutch will cause the bog. Adjust the free play to like a nikle(sp) width and ride! Clutch slippage will cause alot of low end problems.......

My .02 Phillip

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
the powervalves r stuck ether open or closed. i know ive heard of this before and it was the powervalves.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
1. What carb do you have.
2. How many miles since the top end has been serviced.
3. What did the plug look like when you changed it.

The reason I'm asking these question is the 220 comes with a small bore carb and everyone replaces it.

redwood

Sep 15, 2002
stock carb and i am not sure on the miles... the bike looks in really good shape... hardly any wear. the plug looked good, little oily but ok. it sat for a couple month before i bought it. it looked pretty new... so i do not think its the plug it self, maybe the powervalve or spark? i do not know... i would like to try things myself before i broke down and take it to the dealer...

thanks fellas...

250motoxer

Apr 13, 2002
So.... the bike seems to run fine everywhere else? ONly in first and second? Sounds odd... If the bike has sat for a little while, and sounds as thought it was barely ever used, I would start with taking apart the carb. Maybe its pretty gummy... Re-set the float height. Also while the carb is off check the reed valves. And ofcourse clean the air filter clean.

250motoxer

Apr 13, 2002
Right on BRush....I ride an 88 kx 250... I think it's pretty similar to your KDXs'. Kehin carb. ect I have it a little more sensitive than some other two stroke mxers I have owned...

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
It is probably the needle and pilot jet but I would check the power valves just to make sure. Pull the plastic cover off the actuator and unbolt the power valve. This is a left hand thread 10mm nut and I hold the arm with a cresent wrench. Now see if the valves open and snap closed manually. As mentioned above Kawasaki jets the KDX very rich and if the previous owner rode it very much you may have 2 problems, jetting and dirty power valves. I'm riding my third KDX and one of them actually had the power valves installed incorrectly. The only way I found this out was to take the pipe off and look up the exhaust port.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…