Help a Newb pick out his first bike!

Drunk tank

Dec 20, 2005
Well everyone... Im soon to be joining your leages.... cept I come from the big nasty jeep crowd! :coocoo:

Heres the deal, I need a bike, The main purpose of the bike will be for haulin ass in the desert so it needs to be able to handle all the associated rigors (sucking up bumps, taking a few nice flights, staying cool, appropriate head angle/suspension design and be fast as hell). One day i'll probably try out racing... so itd be nice to have something that will get me into that stuff. Not planning on doing any serious MX stuff at all so I'm guessing a lower CG wouldnt be that important for me.

The two bikes that are high on my list of possibles are the Yamahas WR450 and the KTM 525 (not sure what the differance is between the XC-G and the EXC-G though). Ive never been a big fan of the hondas... but not for legit reasons, just kinda dont like the way they look. :think:

About me: I'm 6'3" and weigh in at 260 lbs. So a heavier bike isnt that bad for me cause ill be able to muscle it around pretty easy

Basically, which of those bikes would you consider best suited for my needs? Any other options I should consider? Also, What are some of the weaknesses and strengths of each bike from what youve seen?

I know its alot of questions... but any help is greatly appreciated! Hope I provided enough info for ya all...

Thanks for your time,
Ryan

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
If you've ridden a dirtbike before - CR500/KX500, kings of the dez. Tough as hell, more power than you know what to do with, you can pick one up cheap.

If all you want to do is ride it hard and put it away wet - XR650, little to no maint. needed. The 500's are low maint. bikes too, but more than a XR. Tougher than hell, good power, heavy, almost maint. free.

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
If money is not a problem, then go with a 525 four stroke or you can even still get a brand new CR500 from service honda. If your on a budget then go with what masterphil said and look for an older CR500 or KX500 or XR650. The Service Honda CR500 has something like 60hp, just as fast if not faster than the older 500's but it uses a CRF250 frame so it handles really well too(since its lighter and has a better frame geometry) for when you wanna try racing it. They also look a lot better than the original 500's.

Drunk tank

Dec 20, 2005
One of my things is I'm gonna pick up a new bike. I've saved up a nice meaty down payment and Im not too worried about making a payment (worth it to get what Ive always wanted).

Also, forgot to mention having a headlight would be a big plus because I can see myself doin alot of night riding as well.

so I guess what I'd be looking at now would be the WR450, KX450, CRF450X, and the KTM 525. The more I look at the KTM though its kinda hard to justify the price for the extra cc's. The honda 600 and 650 are just too damn big for my liking, so Im leaning away from them.

Any other input?

Drunk tank

Dec 20, 2005
What are some of the issues with these bikes? seems like every model has its quirks. heard the CRF had some valve issues.... KTM has a hydro cluch (not a good thing to have break)...

I've never rebuilt a top end...which bike kinda has the longest/shortest lifespan for those parts?

I love to work on stuff and will probably be working on the bike all the damn time, but i'd rather it be cause i want to rather than have to

Thanks for the info guys! always nice to know just what youre getting into

Arock

Sep 20, 2005
I used to ride an old DR 600 and have upgraded to a crf450x, I have only had it for a year but the maintenance is way easier than my old bike. Also a much nicer ride. I cant see a need to replace the top end any time soon, But even when I do It looks like a cake walk compared to older bikes. I do all the oil changes and grease bearings and such, very mechanic friendly.

Top Bottom