help/advice/info on buying a 2001 yz 250?

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
Hi guys, looking at getting back into motox after a few years out, last bike was a brand new yz 250 2001 which i loved. A guy in my street is selling a yz 250 2001 for £900 which i think he wil take lower, prehaps £800? Anyway, looked at the bike last night and it seems ok, just needs a clean, not that dirty tho... Lots of compression there when i started it and started on third kick (he said it hasnt been used for a while), i found loose rear wheel bearing, little bit of play in rear suspension linkage, worn rear disc and loose footpegs and loose kickstart (vibrating out when started), other than that it seems ok. Obviously the engine is the most important bit, does anyone have any info/advice for me on this bike from what i have mentioned, anything else to check?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
In my opinion, it is easier to find problems with a 4 stroke than it is a 2 stroke. However, the top ends on those bikes are so easy and cheap to rebuild, that really shouldnt be an issue. You want to make sure the bottom end is solid. Does the clutch operate correctly? Do the gears shift easily with no sticking? Does the bike smoke alot and/or have low gear oil? This can be a sign of leaky crank seals. It sounds to me that the bike has alot of hours on it, so expect to spend some money.

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
I havnt rode the bike yet, that is the next step and to have a good look over it. I am after some advice as to what I need to check/look for when I look at it again?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Look for fork seal leaks, push down on them and listen when they rebound..they shouldnt be noisy. I just had mine rebuild with new seals and bushings and it cost me $200 including parts. Listen to the engine for rattling noises. You already said the rotors are worn out...cheap ones are $60 each at rockymountainatv.com. You can probably plan on brake pads also. Check the chain and sprockets, the sprockets shouldnt be hooked or pointed, they should be blunt. The more you can pull the chain away from the back sprocket, the more they are worn. Ask alot of questions about its history. First thing, feel the pipe to see if its been started..it should be cold.

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
fork seals and fork operation was fine, sprockets looked new with no hooked teeth and it had a o ring chain on it. When I got to the bike I did check and it was stone cold, and started on third kick... All that seems fine its just engine checks I want to focus on, I know obviously to read compression and listen for rattles etc but anything else engine related to check?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Its a $1500 bike...there is risk in buying any used bike. If you want a sure thing, buy a new one. Expect to put a few hundred in the bike just to make it safe and reliable. My YZ400F was $1300 and I have spent about $400 getting it into shape. The advantage of a 2 stroke is that you can rebuild the top end for $200 or less.

Top Bottom