help!! axle (chain) adjusters are siezed

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
have you loosned the lock nuts?(the ones on the bolts)
have you got decent leverage?(a nut driver won't cut it)
have you tried penetrating oil?(copious amounts and let it soak)
have you tried lightly heating them?

try those things in that order... (wipe off excess penetrating oil before hitting it with the torch... or it may cause a fire... *poof*, no more bike, no more problem... LOL)

Jun 12, 2004
Yep

I did all that and no budge (locknut is loose, soaked in oil, heated, snap-on end wrench). I will likely try to heat it up again, but it's melting my stickers!!! This thing is likely gonna break on me.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Get some Liquid Wrench. Try to elevate the rear end slightly so the bolt is out of level.
After spraying on the Liquid Wrench, tap the bolt lightly for a minute or so. Re-apply, tap for another minute or so.
Soaking alone doesn't cut it with penetrating oil, it needs the slight vibration to allow the solvent to cut through and displace the corrosion.
Be patient and don't snap it off. It will eventually free up.

Heating the bolt will only make it larger and harder to get out. If anything, heat the surrounding threads. I would only do this with a small butane pen-tourch that has a ultra-small flame that you can control. Heat only the nut that the bolt threads through.

Jun 12, 2004
worst case scenario

We'll I ended up breaking them. Severe corrosion. I don't think this bike has had much maintenance done in the last 7 years. I drilled them out an re-tapped them so I should be in business shortly.

Thanks for all the good advice!

Brent

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If it breaks it needed replacing anyway! Good job, we're proud of you. lol Sometimes they just don't want to cooperate.

Top Bottom