speedfreak99

Sep 5, 2007
Now I know that all bikes get some bar jiggle at high speeds but my 2000 kx125 is horrible, its ****ing dangerous. Ive been riding 125 and 250 2 strokes for almost ten years of and on and riding since I was 5 and never had this. in 6 gear comming over a series of ver very small bumps the bars go nuts, the bumps are probably only 3 or 4 inches tall. I've rode my KDX200 and my buddies 02 YZ125 over the same spot at the same speeds and they dont have any problem. the steering stem bearings are good the wheel bearings are good and the wheel inst bent and I set my shocks softer (6 outta 18 clicks)for trail riding to help the wobble and it did but I dont want to make them any softer because i jump alot. tire pressures 14psi up front and 12psi in the rear. Im starting to think the frame may be cracked and thats letting it twist. and Im not going to buy a steering stabilizer because the bike is made to work with out one. PLEASE HELP

Jan 3, 2007
speedfreak99, if your bike was made for those speeds, then why would it be doing this. A steering stabalizer would help alot. But befor that, did the bike do this befor, or is something that has just started happening latly.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
If you lower the fork tubes in the triple clamps it will help with straight line stability but hurt cornering.

You should also make sure that both of your forks have the same adjustment on the clickers and the same amount of oil.

speedfreak99

Sep 5, 2007
just aquired this bike in june and yea it always did it and trust me ive been leanin back as hard as i can through these areas, but under braking im just screwed. all shock settings are equal side to side and set to stock. I havent checked shock oil level tho. and millville the bike was made to go this fast it has stock gearing and also i can take my buddies bikes and go through the same sections FASTER w/o any headshake. and to explain why i dont want a stabilizer is because they shouldnt need them or the factory would have instaled them. ive never owned a bike that needed them, and if it did this from the factory kawasaki would have scraped the bike and made a bike that works, they dont wasnt to get their asses beat by the compitetion that doesnt have the headshake problem. The stabilizer would be a fix but that would just be adding something to take care of something else thats wrong. it wouldnt fix the real problem (i dont use jery rig fixes i like finding the real problem) thanks for the replys and keep em comming thanks ---Mike

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
sounds like the forks are to high in triple clamps
when i bought my yz the person i bought it from was way shorter than me and he had the forks up to make bike shorter.
first time out on bike i got real bad head shake and crashed hard (headshake and soft florida sand do not mix)
looked at forks saw that they where up in the triple clamps
lowered them back down and no more headshake

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Check your swingarm bushings/bearing as well. A loose swingarm can also cause headshake. Has the bike ever been crashed hard? The frame could be bent causing the steering head to be out of line.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
What is the rear end sag set too? If you have too much preload (not enough sag) it can be very unstable.

I had a 99 KX125 (practically the same bike). It suffered from horrible head shake first ride out. Turns out the previous owner was either huge, or couldn't set up the suspension. My 180 lbs had only a little over 2" of sag (should be roughly 4"). Setting it up helped a huge amount, but it was still fairly unstable. A new front tire basically cured it. The on there was slightly dry rotted and probably had soft sidewalls.

As for the whole steering stabilizer thing, your theory is way off. Just because a bike is geared to do, say, 70 mph, it sure doesn't mean it has the ability go that speed in all situations. If you are doing a lot of high speed riding a stabilizer can be a godsend on any bike. :ride:

speedfreak99

Sep 5, 2007
well the bikes been broken for a couple days, broken beadlock and resulting flat which are now fixed. but i finally solved the bar wobble problem and there is NO bar jiggle at any speed. all i had to do was test and tune for an hour or two with the front shock settings, i softened the compression up some and left the rebound stock and now this s*** flies. faster in the turns and nicer landings on the jumps. Thanks guys for all the advice and help --Mike

maddogYZ

Aug 24, 2007
Glad you realized the problem, these guys were missing the boat. When you soften your compression you need to harden your rebound. Another side affect is that your bike will jump front end high a lot of the times if don't your rebound dialed in properly.

Top Bottom