HELP - Break inside the case

vmf214

Oct 4, 2005
OK - I'm right in the middle of winter tear down and rebuild on a 2001 KDX 220. Just pulled the gear shift mechanism to put in a new one and that went fine. As I go to replace the KIPS exhaust advancer assembly I notice the stud end of the lever govenor on the end of the KIPS lever shaft is broke off and gone. So I go looking for loose metal and find a small area just to the inside and in front of the bearing for the drive shaft that the clutch basket mounts on. There is metal broken and "tented". It falls away easily upon touch and exposes some part pushing thru from the other side of the case. I can't tell what it is. Does anybody KNOW? I have some really good close pics of it, if that would help - I would be glad to email them out (I don't think I can post them). The bike was running fine at the end of the season - this rebuild was just a new top-end, shifter mechanism and clutch. Now, I don't know if the cases need to be split. The bearings in the bottom end are all smooth and have no real free play (they feel perfect). Please HELP and THANKS in advance!!

vmf214

Oct 4, 2005
Issue Resolved

The KIPS governor went thru the case. Has been removed and JB Weld to the rescue.

Thanks to Green Hornet for the HELP

Top Bottom