Noa

Jul 25, 2003
Hi, I am looking into buying a new bike. It will be my second bike, coming from a tt-r 125. I am about 5'6" and I weigh about 114. I was thinking about a yz 85 but do you have any other suggestions. I'm considering both 4 strokes and 2 strokes but I don't want to get bored w/it soon. I will mostly be riding in open fields and on a few ramps in a friends property. I might bring it to the track but not a lot. Thanks for the help.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
what do like the feel of 4 strokes or 2 strokes better? i would say look into a KX/RM100, my friend is exactly the same height and weight as you and he is awsome on that thing. See if you can try one out.
good luck!

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
I would also have to reccomend the RM 100 or KX 100.

The reason I wouldnt reccomend a full size MX 125:

1) The riding you are doing will be better on a mini, and would be a pain for new riders on a 125. a friend of mine never brings his 125 anywhere but the track since it is not good for open feilds and that type of riding..

2) I dont know about u but i know being in your age group its hard to come up with that kind of money for a 125cc. 5000$+

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Truthfully all the minis are going to be on the small side for someone 5'6"..

My son was 14 and 5'5" last year when he switched from yz85 to 125. He was nervous at first but now loves it. Also I have a 125 MX bike and I ride more trails than track. Jetted right a 125 mx machine will be fine in the trails.

Noa

Jul 25, 2003
Ya, I heard that the kx and rm are good bikes to but do you think they would be to powerful for me? I don't know because I haven't even got the chance to ride a 2 stroke yet. I was just getting the hang of the basics w/my ttr 125 and I decided I wanted to get a 2 stroke and get more into the sport.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
They are insane (2-strokes that is)

I think that an RM or KX is the easiest 2-stroke to learn on since they have the best low end power, which comes in hand for beginners. Where as the 85 class RM/KX have lower top end than the YZ/CR. Being that you are getting the 100, you get better low end and top end.

Just to let you know, i am purchasing a kx 100 for christmas and i cant wait. i did alot of research before making my decision and its a great all around bike. Its my first 2-stroke. they are an absolute blast to ride.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
sit on one and make sure the handle bar to foot peg distance does not seem to small.. My son back in 2002 wanted a KX85 until he sat on it and it felt too small to him, so he got a YZ85 rode that for a year and a half, then moved up to the YZ125

Amber Farris

Mar 14, 2003
I ride a KX100. I am 5'4" and about 125lbs. I love this bike. I went from an XR200 to this bike and never looked back. Plenty of power for me. Its the first 2 stroke I have ever ridden and I was surprised how user friendly it was. Its makes great trail bike because its got some nice low end. I have heard the yz85 and cr85 have more top end than the kx85/100, but for trail riding low end is what you want. If this is your first 2-stroke I would denfinely for the kx/rm. I do agree that the ergos on this bike may feel cramped for the average rider. I ended up putting a different top triple clamp that raised my bars foward and higher. It's a perfect fit now. You can always just buy taller bars. However, you should sit on the bike and make sure it feels comfortable or can be made to feel comfortable. Good Luck!

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

If you think you can handle the height ( which at 5 foot 6 you shouldn't have to much of a problem...shorter people than you have gotten these bikes) you should look into a KDX 200/220. They are great bikes to mess around with out in fields, on the trails and can hold their own on the track. They weigh about 223 pounds dry, that may sound heavy but I am only a little bit bigger than you and I have no problem with it. The best thing about a bike like this is that you won't grow out of it., it is the kind of bike that can grow with you. It is an awesome bike stock, but if you want to trick it out it can become an absolute monster. You won't find the power unmanagable, but there is always enough for whatever you want to do. Up here in Canada I don't think you can get the KDX 200 so I can't tell you a whole lot about it...this is basically what I know. The KDX 200 many people say feels faster...that's probably because it doesn't have as much low end. This bike will rev out more than the 220. While the 220 ( this is what I have and I love it) is a torquey monster compared to the 200 and the 2 stroke mx bikes out there(the kdx's are 2 stokes by the way). It is still fast, mine will go over 100 km/h and it is bone stock. It can handle anything I throw at it. It has more than enough power to do whatever I want with it...but the power doesn't hit hard enough to get me into trouble. Both the 220 and 200 weigh the same...and look the same...the only difference is that the 220 is about 500 dollars more and has a smaller carb ( which can be changed). I really think if you feel comfortable sitting on this bike you should get it. It would be the perfect all around bike for you that you wont have to sell right away when you grow 5 inches ( I doubt you would have your 80/100 3 months before you outgrow it...i'd give it a riding season at the most) Put some thought into getting this bike...if you go new they are reasonable priced for what you are getting...if you go used..there are tons of good deals out there on bikes that are in perfect condition and only have a season or two on them.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I was going to mention the KDX earlier but I didn't know if you could take a KDX because your only 120lbs. I 5'6" but 145lbs. and I can handle it. Yeah, its 220lbs. but it doesn't feel like your riding a 450F. It has great handling, it goes were you point it. The low end really helps out too. If your a little small the clutch will take some starting abuse. Before I was on a RM80 and I didn't know what low end power was(even though it has the most out of all the 80's). I test rode my dads 220 and reved it up high and let the clutch out and it nearly took off with out me. My 200 still has lugging power but goes noticably faster when you rev it wide open. I rode today behind my dads dual sport and it runs 50mph(about 80kph) pretty easy before you rev it out and some say it will go 70(105kph) and I believe them. And this could be your last bike size wise.

The KX is a great second if you feel the KDX is too big and you want something you can whip around in the woods. Either bike will take you for a ride on the track.

Noa

Jul 25, 2003
Alright I think I'm going to go w/the kx 100, the kdx is a little big right now. Do you know about how much they go for used.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
A late 90's might go for $1500 to $2000 in good cond. KDX's are $2000 to $2500. The KX100 aren't real common but if you look around you'll find one.
There a lot of KDX's around but not a lot of them for sale.

Top Bottom