yzfjim750

Mar 12, 2004
Hi all , I recently purchased a 1995 jap import KDX220 the front pipe is held on by bolts but when having a look at FMF pipes they appear to be held on by springs, is this correct and do KDX's have bolt on pipes as standard or springs?
If any can enlighten me I would be most grateful.

one other thing my KDX wont even lift front wheel in first let alone 2nd or 3rd off the throttle alone any tips? it was just chugged around Japan when first got it would only do 40mph followed by a huge cloud of blue smoke after a while the smoke cleared and it now does 75mph on stock gearing but the bike does'nt have the pull like a old CR250 i used to have.
Feel a bit let down by its performance any tips?

Jim :ugg:

barrie36

Mar 8, 2004
Hi mate,my o1 220 has holes for springs either side of the exhaust port ,and it has threaded holes like yours,when i bought it it had a standard exhaust on it push fit into the exhaust port and held on with 2 springs,ive now put a fmf gnarly on it and this is held on with springs aswell,on my 98 200 the barrel doesnt have any threaded holes.If your bike has been ridden so slow for a while theres a good chance everything is clogged up with oil and thats why its not going to good.Do some of the mods suggested on this forum and you will not regret your purchase :)

boyo

May 12, 2003
Hi!
At first: It looks like your bike is an SR model. I also own an SR but 250 cc. Yes the exhaust on SR mods are fixed with bolts. It is almost impossible to find aftermarket pipes for these bikes. I could find only one brand ( SPES ). Look for "SPES" products in the UK, maybe somebody can help you.

secoundly: search for jetting info on this forum and on dirtrider.net/justkdx... You will find all the info there you need.
My opinion is that the jetting on your bike is a way to rich.

All the best,
Boyo

yzfjim750

Mar 12, 2004
barrie36 said:
Hi mate,my o1 220 has holes for springs either side of the exhaust port ,and it has threaded holes like yours,when i bought it it had a standard exhaust on it push fit into the exhaust port and held on with 2 springs,ive now put a fmf gnarly on it and this is held on with springs aswell,on my 98 200 the barrel doesnt have any threaded holes.If your bike has been ridden so slow for a while theres a good chance everything is clogged up with oil and thats why its not going to good.Do some of the mods suggested on this forum and you will not regret your purchase :)
Thanks for that my friend, had a look and mine has the same, only had it a couple of weeks and I was getting a little down with the performance of my bike, but if you says she goes when modded then Im gonna give it a go! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom