HELP!!!!! First bike for 5'7 120lb woman!

C

Colorado girl

I am looking to buy my first dirt bike. I am 5'7 and 120lbs with more leg than torso. I am brand new to dirt biking and am a little nervous about which bike to get. I am not going to be doing any motorcross riding - I plan to be riding trails in Colorado at high elevation where I live, along with some trips to Fruita and Moab. I am athletic, but not an agressive learner. I am concerned with the height, weight and power of the bike. I would like to be able to put my feet flat on the ground - seems like I would be more comfortable this way - but I am affraid that I might grow out of the shorter/smaller bikes. I have sat on, but not ridden (it's too snowy out!), the TTR125LE which felt comfortable but maybe too short. I also sat on the CRF150 and CRF230 and am concerned about their weights. Most recently I sat on the new CRF150R and liked the size/weight, but am weary of buying a kick start..... HELP ME PLEASE! :)

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
One of the few times I feel sorry for someone so tall and leggy (haa).
My sister in law is too and she rides the CRF230F. It is hard for her to stand and she looks really awkward on it. I would try to get a bike to learn on without investing a lot of money on it. Get creative. Meeting people on different forums is a good way to meet people with different bikes. I'm very generous with my bike to people that I know wouldnt tear it up. I think it's easier to ride (once you learn and get comfortable riding and using clutch,brakes,gears) on a bike that fits. Too big or too small makes it more difficult. IMHO (if you're not a natural).

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
See the sticky at the top of this forum labeled "bikes for the Ladies"

Yamaha TTR 125EL gets my vote, if you think the CR230F is too big.

Squirrel Girl

Oct 17, 2006
IMO, the crf150f or the 230 should be the right choice for you. I started on the ttr125le, nice & light, but too short for me & I'm 5'5. Just got the crf150f for x-mas and it is a heavy beast, 50 lbs more than the ttr, and it is kicking my a** every time I need to pick it up.(I have developed what I call the "crowbar maneuver", your leg is the crowbar) We also have a 230 which I LOVE to ride but it's even heavier and I feel too tall for me, but may work for you. I've been told the crf150r would not make a good trail bike, even though it is tempting with how light (and pretty) it is! Oh, and electric start is definitely the way to go, it is heavier but worth the weight, especially if you're having to start on a steep hilly trail or cliffside.
And I echo Progirlz advice, if you know someone willing to let you try their bike, then take them up on it, it just means more friends for them to ride with in the long run!

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
My wife is 5'7" 120lbs also. She rides a CRF150F and she loves it. A little heavy but the weight is carried low and she has no problems picking it up or starting it. Very reliable smooth power and something you probably won't grow out of.

C

Colorado girl

Thanks!

Thanks ladies!!! This is so helpful. I think I'm probably going to get the CRF150f - seems like the best bike for what I am looking for (seat height, 4 stroke, electric start, etc.). Wish it was a little lighter though.... I LOVE the weight and feel of the new CRF150R (169lbs vs. 223lbs for the 150f)- but, without an electric start and the fact that I will have to retro-fit it to ride it on trails seems like it is not the best choice - not to mention the $$$. Does anyone know if I can make the 150F lighter, or does it matter? Are there any other bikes I should be considering?

Also, I need to get a helmet and boots - any thoughts? :)

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
Colorado girl said:
Does anyone know if I can make the 150F lighter, or does it matter?

I've heard that they changed the bottom end to lighten it up. The bottem end on the original 150f's were the same as that of the 230's.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
If you do get a 150f, I would keep in mind that there is a kit for it that makes it somewhere around 200+ cc's. You are most likely going to grow out of power before you grow out of the bike phsyically. The 150f has a pretty good aftermarket to allow the bike to grow with you. That way you can bump up the power later on, without adding weight! Good luck on your desicion, and remember any dirtbike (almost) is better than no dirtbike. Comfort is always key!

B

bikeguru

I think you should get the 150. The 125LE would be too small for someone your height. You would probably want a bigger bike pretty quick, especially if you are riding at high altitudes. I wouldn't get the 230 if you are worried about weight, those things are beasts if you are new to riding. As for the 150R, it was made to be a MX bike and not a trail bike, so you would have to change the gearing and add a spark arrester. The 150R also has no electirc start option which can be a big deal if you stall in technical terrain. The CRF150 will feel heavy at the dealership but you have to remember that it is a motorcycle and not a mountain bike. It won't feel so heavy when you are giving it gas. You can also add a light to the CRF 150 if you want to do some evening rides or make it street legal.

G

gasgasriders

Contact Nicole Bradford in Gypsum CO. She is around your weight and has long legs. She is a really great rider and can help you a lot.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
This fall I borrowed a friends 150f and hit Rampart Range near Denver. I am so glad I didn't take my 250X. The fact that it was smaller framed made a huge difference in my handling on the trails. I'm pretty sure the 150f is close to the weight of my 250X, but I didn't notice the weight riding. It was perfect for me in the woods. I'm 5'3" and could touch perfectly. Much better than on my 250X. Mine wasn't e-start but I never had trouble with it once we re-jetted for Co riding. I ride mostly MX but we will be hitting the trails more this year. I am getting a 150RB in a couple of weeks, and hopefully one bike will give me the best of both worlds.
My vote for you is the 150f....
Susan

Squirrel Girl

Oct 17, 2006
I took my 150f out for the 2nd time and I'm really getting used to the extra weight. That didn't take too long! Put better tires on it so it's climbing easier. Still not fun picking it up when I drop it, but if I followed the easier trails this wouldn't be an issue. The people I'm riding with don't do easy! Really starting to love this bike, can whole-heartedly recommend it! :)

Chickie

Jan 22, 2007
I would recommend a CRF230 DO NOT GET THE TTR125 I ride one and I am way shorter than you and it needs a bit more engine for the riding we do which is trail and track.

C

Colorado girl

more questions...

You guys are great! Thanks for all the info - I love hearing your opinions, they are so helpful. I have decided against the TTR125 - it's just too small. The CRF150 seems like a the best choice for that size bike, but I have been doing some more research and am starting to lean towards a bigger bike. What do you think about the TTR230? Or the CRF230? Or would I be better off with the CRF150? I can touch the ground almost flat-footed on the 230s - but they do seem heavier. Seemed like the TTR230 felt lighter than the Hondas even though it isn't. Hum....

p.s. how do I get a hold of Nicole Bradford in Gypsum?

Also, shopping for boots and gear, any recommendations?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
If you can touch flat footed then its your size! It is heavier but if your not going to ride it aggressively then it should be fine, as long as you can pick it up and start it ( is that thing electric start??) Plus it will last you longer then a smaller bike would, as you progress.

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
PS to my last post, I can only touch with my toes on my bike. This is a common thing, unless your 6'2" :) But new riders do feel safer with the flat foot thing. Also if you can touch on the 230 the 125 is probably too small for you and would need replacing in a short while.

C

Colorado girl

I'm just wondering if I should start on a smaller bike and not worry about growing out of it - just start on one that is comfortable, manageable and small. Or, should I just suck it up and go for the bigger, better bike? I want to enjoy the sport and if it would be better to start smaller and then eventually buy a bigger bike - well, that's ok with me. What is the best bike to learn on? Will the bigger bike be intimidating? Or will I get used to it quickly? I have zero riding experience (except for mtn biking). This is a tough choice. I read that you can raise the handle bars on the TTR125 for a taller rider.... is that a good idea?

Thanks everyone! :)

Squirrel Girl

Oct 17, 2006
For your height you will feel cramped on the ttr125le, I went the "comfort zone" route of buying the 125le because I could reach flat-footed, I'm 5'5 remember,a little over one year later I've had to buy a bigger bike, so if money is an issue get the bigger bike, thankfully I have kids that will get use out of the 125! Even if you raised the bars, your pegs won't have much clearance for deep ruts, logs or whatever, if I had to do it again I wouldn't have farted around with the 125. Not bad-mouthing it though, it is a great little bike for someone SHORTER.

C

Colorado girl

Question for gasgasriders!

gasgasriders said:
Contact Nicole Bradford in Gypsum CO. She is around your weight and has long legs. She is a really great rider and can help you a lot.

Hey gasgasrider - do you know how I can get a hold of Nicole? I live near Gypsum and would LOVE to get in touch with her. :)

L

Look Dirt.Waa Hoo

Crf 150f

Good choice !!! My wife has the TTR 125E...She is only 5'1". And it is great for her. As for weight....be patient. As you learn to ride you are not going to notice a weight increase. Spend time learning to ride, take a course, drive the DREADED Figure 8. Get used to the bike. Droping weight on a bike is not super tough but can get expensive. Changing out easy parts to light weight versions is the quickest I've found. But the greatest asset is some times changing the pre load or shock setting on the bike. With my wifes TTR we dropped the pre load which changed the ride height. Little lower centre of gravity and the feel for her was better. Have fun and be patient.....you may find you are into that 150R sooner than you think.

Look Dirt wha hoo

Top Bottom