HELP!!!! Front axle blues...

JasonKDX

Mar 16, 2002
I was getting ready to wash my 1996 KDX 200 yesterday when I noticed that one of the 4 nuts holding the front axle holder to the fork was different than the others...and loose. ( A quick history: I bought the bike used 3 years ago and have found many other "suprises" like this one.) When I first tried to tighten it buy hand, I noticed that the set screw that the nut was attached to was turning....even worse, I could pull it out along with the threads from the fork!! Not good.
It gets better. I took the other 3 nuts off and pulled the holder away from the fork to see if the threads were indeed hosed (and they were). When I attempted to put the axle holder back on, I snapped another set screw! (The manual says these should be torqued to 65 ft. lb., but it snapped before I got there....grrrrr.)

So for my question: What do I do!! Can I re-thread the for and get new set screws, or am I "screwed"? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks! Jason

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I don't have my manual with me but I can tell you for sure that 65 ft lbs is way to much. It's a verry light torque setting.

kaw Bill

JasonKDX

Mar 16, 2002
That's kinda what I thought too! I'm still kinda new to all of this, but that felt like a ton of torque. Maybe I read it wrong....

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I think you mis-read the manual. The front axle is listed at 65ft-lbs, not the clamp nuts. The front axle clamp nuts are shown as 87 INCH-LBS. If you go to the dealer seeking new studs, they're going to look their parts book and then tell you that you need to buy the whole fork leg because the studs don't show as a separate part. Tell them they are wrong. Here is the undocumented part number for the studs: 172G0622, Front Axle Clamp Stud. It was uncovered by a few of the members here. If the threads in the fork leg are stripped, I'm not sure what to tell you. Helicoils might be worth a try if they come that small.

Ark_220

Apr 1, 2003
I would suggest using a 'Time Cert' they are permanent and a lot better than a heli coil insert. They are 6mm and they don't need much torque on them.

JasonKDX

Mar 16, 2002
BRush: You are 100% correct. I got the service manual back out and...DOH! I was reading the wrong line. It clearly says 87 inch pounds. I gotta chalk that up to stupidity. (Just smacked my forehead.)

Any idea where I can get a Time sert or Heli coil kit?

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Carefully take one of the good studs out and take it to your good hardware store and in the specialty stuff, others have found the metric studs. It is likely that the one that is stripped can be made to hold with plenty of lock-tite or epoxy, since they do not have to be removed and can now be lightly/correctly torqued.--Good luck

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A related point (related if you're going to consider for even a hummingbird's heartbeat that 65 ft/lbs has anything to do with a fastener of this size...;) )

When the cap is installed, it is to be tightened on the top first! That is to say, there will be NO gap at the top of the cap/fork, but there will be a considerable gap at the bottom. Even when properly tightened.

Your situation was a whole lot better than finding out about the problem coming down from 5' in the air and at 30mph!

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…