HELP!: Gearbox "clicking"; bike will not roll in neutral

rompnstomp

Jun 1, 2004
I bought this '97 KDX 220 used, and it had recently had the cases split to replace the counter sprocket drive shaft. When you roll the bike in neutral, it rolls a few feet and then locks up. If you do a back-and-forth deal, sometimes it will push past the sticky point, but with an audible "pop" or "click" coming from the gearbox.

I initially thought the clutch wasn't fully disengaging..the basket was shot, so I went ahead and replaced that along with the worn plates. The problem didn't go away however, and I'm not sure where to go next. The waterpump gear has also been replaced, but I've doubled checked and everything meshes. I'm almost thinking the previous owner didn't reinstall the gears correctly and I'll have to split cases again. I'm using one shim in the clutch; should I try two? :bang:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
If you paid someone to split the cases, then your first move should be to take the bike back and demo the problem and ask them to make it right. If it was the previous owner then, based on your description, it would lead one to conclude that he did made some reassembly mistake. There’s an outside chance it could be a broken KIPS advance shaft. While it’s not unheard of for a broken advancer shaft pin to migrate into the transmission, that does not seem likely in your case, because with all the clutch work you’ve done, you would have noticed that broken part and/or the evidence of damage to the basket. It’s been my experience with the clutch that you generally don’t need to mess with the engagement shim. However, make absolutely sure that you have the two spacing washers in the correct position (see link). If either one is not there or in the wrong location that will screw up the engagement. That messed me up the first time I took my clutch apart.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rushbe/clutch01.jpg

Top Bottom