jexy05

Apr 7, 2013
hi all, I am only new on here, I have 91 kdx200 that's a bit scrappy but apparently went well before I got it, unfortunately the last owner was a bit of a rogue and did some dodgy wiring fixes over the years, I've managed to fix a few things on it and need some help, I am 99% certain I have fitted everything back together in the right place, being a mechanic for years but only being a newbie to bikes I obtained a wiring diagram and traced everything (I think) and it's all where it's supposed to be, I have checked the magneto and that is outputting power on kick start but when I plug it into the cdi this reading disappears and I cant get any spark, I have not welded anything or put an external power source anywhere near the bike, is it possible that the cdi just stopped working from sitting around for a while? I have checked the kill switch and that seems fine, does anyone have any ideas? short of a can of petrol and a match?
is there anyone in Melbourne that might have a cdi floating around or knows a bit more about bikes that may be able to help, I am not keeping the bike but would love to ride it just once before I flog it and if I can get it running it's worth twice as much to sell, please help. thanks. :bang:

EYY

May 22, 2010
Hey mate. Try checking that the coil is properly earthed and try disconnecting the kills witch all together. Also check the spark plug cap. Make sure you're starting off with a new plug - b8es is the right plug and are about $3 from bursons.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you?

jexy05

Apr 7, 2013
EYY said:
Hey mate. Try checking that the coil is properly earthed and try disconnecting the kills witch all together. Also check the spark plug cap. Make sure you're starting off with a new plug - b8es is the right plug and are about $3 from bursons.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you?

hi, thanks for the reply,
I did put a new plug in it already but I will check the coil connections and check the attachment to the frame again just to be sure, just for curiosity how do you bypass the kill switch?
I've decided to just flog it to a wrecker, I got offered $500 for it and figure it might be better to cut my losses and walk away than spend anymore cash on it which is a shame as it's a solid bike.
I am in Cranbourne north.
thanks again.

EYY

May 22, 2010
You should be able to just unplug it, as I'm pretty sure those switches earth when the button is pushed in.

But take my word for it, you'll end up spending much more money on it than a good one is worth. Take the linkage bearings for example, they're around $350 alone. Not including swingarm bearings. And if the barrel needs electroplating, that's going to cost around $800. Not to mention the powervalves in those things, which are $70 each. And don't even get me started on how difficult it is to find a good clutch basket.

And those are the things that I can pretty much guarantee your bike will need if you want it to be half reliable and bare able to ride.

Having said that, I do love my Kdx and it goes harder than every 4 stroke 250 I've ever ridden with and at least kept up with the 250 2 strokes.

jexy05

Apr 7, 2013
thanks for the advice, unfortunately it's too late to go back and say no to buying it, I guess that's the price you pay for being new to bikes and paying way too much, I think ill just flog it the way it is and stick to cars, all those parts are good on it, but at the end ill only get a 91 kdx200. thanks again.

Top Bottom